Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1974 xl tc 250 cortina
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be running straight gas in the future. I am a bit worried about what will happen if I ever run out of gas.

Like do you have to get towed to the nearest servo?

Or do racv guys have like a little bbq bottle that attaches to your gas tank that gives you a few litres?

thanks

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
I have seen the RACV use BBQ gas fillers with special adaptors... but they are illigal so you won't see many.

I have been running straight LPG for a while now and on a couple of cars... never had a problem. Not even when I broke the fuel guage and drove around for 3 months only going on how many km's i'd done!

·
1974 xl tc 250 cortina
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be going from dual fuel to straight lpg. So its sorta like the complete opposite. I have no qualms with running my lpg until empty now cause I know I have some petrol in reserve.

I guess it just worries me a bit. Nothing I wont be used to in 2 weeks I suppose. But I would hate to runout when travelling interstate or something, you would get killed in tow truck fees.

·
Registered
407 Posts
'I have seen the RACV use BBQ gas fillers with special adaptors... but they are illigal so you won't see many.'

Still didn't stop one clown here in Melbourne from making his own gas setup - 9kg BBQ bottle on passenger floor, hose run through hole in firewall and into carb. Throttle control assisted by careful use of gas valve on bottle......good thing he got pulled up in a roadworthy blitz!

·
Registered
97 Posts
With every LPG car i've owned you could tell when the gas was running out, the performance drops off, and you can really start to hear the gas system wheeze. it generally keeps running for quite a few kms, enough to get to a servo if your around town.

I assume you would notice something similar with yours?

·
1974 xl tc 250 cortina
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still didn't stop one clown here in Melbourne from making his own gas setup - 9kg BBQ bottle on passenger floor, hose run through hole in firewall and into carb. Throttle control assisted by careful use of gas valve on bottle......good thing he got pulled up in a roadworthy blitz!
thats a classic! but hey, it is pretty ingeniuos.

With every LPG car i've owned you could tell when the gas was running out, the performance drops off, and you can really start to hear the gas system wheeze. it generally keeps running for quite a few kms, enough to get to a servo if your around town.
Yep, I know what you mean but I only get a very short warning. Like maybe enough for 300 metres on flat ground. Going up any sort of hill forget it, maybe like 50 metres!

Maybe its different with straight gas, I hope so.

·
2,153 Posts
I ran out a couple of times on straight gas because of a faulty LPG fuel gauge. The first time I got a free tow to a garage as the NRMA diagnosed a faulty LPG convertor. The garage took two seconds to work out I had run out of fuel as you could push in filler valve with your finger. The second time I borrowed a portable LPG gas bottle and filled in a few litres. That is now illegal I believe.

·
Wannabe mechanic :)
694 Posts
Get one of those donut tanks as a reserve.. only use it in emergencies so it's always filled.. of course, then you'll have no spare tyre, so it's a bit of a toss up between which you most expect to happen :p

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
mum dont fill up her car, me and dad dont know why, but we always do it, she didnt drive her car for 4 days and made me drive because no1 was gonna fill up her car... when i took it.. dad was in a magna, and he killed me, only coz mums car would go above 2000 rpm withouht playing up.... it was EEEEEMPTY!!!!!

we get a warning, performance DIES!

·
Registered
17 Posts
MaD_WoG said:
mum dont fill up her car, me and dad dont know why, but we always do it, she didnt drive her car for 4 days and made me drive because no1 was gonna fill up her car... when i took it.. dad was in a magna, and he killed me, only coz mums car would go above 2000 rpm withouht playing up.... it was EEEEEMPTY!!!!!

we get a warning, performance DIES!
Yep I have dual fuel and used to do a lot of highway kms, at 100k you will start to feel sluggish when you come to a hill, like you accelerate and the car doesnt go. Its rpm based, so doesnt matter what gear you are in it wont go past whatever rpm it is. I can get around 7kms on the highway after i notice it missing before my speed starts dropping below 70km due to lack of rpm.

I think the best way not to run out of LPG is find out how many kms u can do on a tank and work out your range like that. Reset the trip meter every time you fill up and you should be right. Dont rely on the fuel gauge as they are all over the place. On my dash the low fuel light comes on anywhere between 250kms and 340kms into a tank of gas, and I get around 450kms out of a tank.

·
1974 xl tc 250 cortina
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Craigglez said:
Reset the trip meter every time you fill up and you should be right.QUOTE]

Trip meter. Whats that? :angel:

Ahhhh...I miss them. They are great for seeing how far you have got off each tank of gas, how far you have driven in a week etc. Or seeing how far away Box Hill or whatever is.

I tried to record some km readings in a log book for gas milage but as if I could bf (or remember to) write in it everytime I get gas.

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
the guage in my car.... with it i can do a gazzillion kms on a liter of gas...... coz it shows full all lthe time..... i gotta check the boot, but i guess when its getting low, from just the kays....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sorry but I came here to hopefully pick up a handy bit of advice from someone with some common sense. All I have seen are answers to questions nobody has even asked? What the bloody hell good does it do to tell someone the best way to get an empty dedicated gas car going is to somehow make sure you don't let it run out of gas? Really? Are these genuinely Ford owners on here or have the Holden fans gotten themselves lost?

·
Super Moderator
21,901 Posts
I'm sorry but I came here to hopefully pick up a handy bit of advice from someone with some common sense. All I have seen are answers to questions nobody has even asked? What the bloody hell good does it do to tell someone the best way to get an empty dedicated gas car going is to somehow make sure you don't let it run out of gas? Really? Are these genuinely Ford owners on here or have the Holden fans gotten themselves lost?
You are commenting on 17 yr old posts .If you have a question post it in the correct section .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts