Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Limited Edition Fairmont Ghia Turbo

Ford Australia announced today of the limited edition Fairmont Ghia Turbo. With total build numbers of 200, with 150 avalible with the new ZF 6 speed automatic transmission and the remaining 50 avalible with a new 6 speed manual transmission. The new transmissions offering additional ratios, lower NVH, better fuel economy, lower weight and better performance.

Finished in Phantom Purple, the Ghia Turbo comes fitted with 18" wheels and a matching interior with special leather seats with dark purple inserts simular to the Fairlane G220 seating. All models will come standard with the XR premium brakes and four channel ABS and a short 3.7 ratio LSD.

The cars also recive a improvement to NVH with a special new low noise exaust, 15 kg of noise dampening material applied throughout the car to bring levels inline with european sedans. Also the cars pilot the new Ford corrosion protection system, meeting european standards of corrosion proofing to the underbody and exterior.

The most noteable change however is the addition of the 4.0L DOHC 24 valve turbo six cylinder engine previously found on the XR6 Turbo cars. Providing 252Kw of power, via the new exaust and some minor retuning providing exclusive power levels in a australian made luxury sedan.

Apart from the new wheels and paint, the car retains its premium image with no additional body kit or badging. Unconfirmed sticker price is expected to just slide in under the luxury tax threshold, at $57,008. It also appears that the Fairmont Ghia Turbo is not avalible to fleet buyers or avalible with special discounts.

Ford also announced a pilot export program to the UK, providing only 25 Fairmont Ghia Turbos to UK ford dealers and full Ford UK support. Demand at this stage is uncertian, but a press car has been provided from the 25 to encourage interest.

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
Oh my god, what a dream car! Considering how rare and optioned this hybrid beast would be, you could almost consider the $57k an investment (we'll that's how I'd justify it) assuming you can get onto the waiting list!

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
They would sell out within 3 days I predict. The ultimate in performance and style. Aimed solely at the professional who still loves a bit of class and power.

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
whoa... this sounds awesome... where did u source this info??? and whats with the what if title... is this only a concept??? and if the Ghia turbo has been beefed up to 252kw with the new trannys does that mean the next model XR6T 252kw as well??? i hope so!!! good times ahead for sure!!!! yeee haaa its good to be a falcon nut!!! :hy:

·
EF Series Fan
198 Posts
WTF does it only come in that ugly ass purple?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is not actually a Ford press release, I just pulled it out of my imagination. However its a beliveable idea, maybe it might happen.

I was just wondering how would be the correct way to release the Turbo option on the Ghia. Instead of just another option box, a limited edition to bring it to market. I like Phantom, and I like the idea of using some XR colours on say a Ghia, when they get a XR engine. Exclusive power levels also ensure the entire concept isn't just a effort in marketing.

It would also be a nice way of introducing the new transmissions.

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Phido, you could have turned this into another V10 drama :s6:

Anyhow, it would be a good thing and I still predict that they would sell out in a few days.

FORD, ARE YOU READING THIS ^^^

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, no no, we all know the V10 is first going into the LTD!! Hehehehaha..

However, I think your right, demand would be very strong. I also think they would be the type of buyers Ford would like to see returning to the brand, or buyers that aren't currently catered for. Also being released between BA and BA-II would provide a interesting look at where BAII is/should be going. It would also reignite brand excitement, the Falcon has really started to fall off covers and in publicity.

But its up to Ford, I unfortunately cannot make such a beast, and I doubt a dealer could do it either. I guess the reason it hasn't been done before is that it would really nudge the price up to the luxury tax limit, and the already strong demand for XR6 Turbo engines.

It would also be a great car to introduce the new transmissions on, again maybe difficult for the price, but I think it could be done. No use introducing a transmission like the 6 speeders if its going to be a exceptionally expensive option.

I too hope Ford is inspired by the idea and maybe one day it happens. A limited release like the above you make it a real classic Ford, a real collectors item.

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
i usually steer clear of the "what if..." threads, because dreaming about a 1100hp GT-P station wagon is generally a waste of time, BUT - this one really caught my eye. How hard would it be for Ford to put it together? Not very! Existing Fairmont Ghia base, some extra trim, an existing engine, and the kicker -

they'd sell every single one they made!

Good effort, Phido!

·
Editor on P Plates
2,482 Posts
I've said all along this should be a full time (if limited in numbers like the early Holden SV cars) product in the line-up.

Raid the historical names database and viola: marketers dream with the new BA Fairmont Ghia ESP.

It was a collectable car in the XD-XE years, and it would be even more desirable in 2004 with the turbo.

Now if we could just get this sitting in the showroom next to the Fairlane G260 we'd be set... :wnc:

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
had some of us fooled with all that ford/journalist tlk there in your first post phido...lol, ahhh ignorance is bliss :s6:

·
Loco
211 Posts
Very nice, any interior pics?

Personally, no matter how fast the car is, or how good it looks, I like my interior looks very sleek, otherwise I won't own it.

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
the car isnt real.... its just one phido made up

·
Now driving an XF Falcon.
1,042 Posts
For what it's worth, it sounds to me like a very desireable car.

I also have no doubt that if Ford did make one like this, it would have NO problem selling it. Even though it's nothing like my beloved Esky, I'd have to admit that I'd be interested in owning one.

·
O.F.R - BIG DADDY C.E.O
571 Posts
Phido

You are a man of discerning taste,especially when it comes to choice of colour (NOT THAT I AM BIASED OR ANYTHING ).

Ray.

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts
I agree with you Casper, it would sell out in a matter of days. What an awesome idea, if I had the money I would actually buy one if they were made.

"Welcome to the FordForums concept class children....quite please....stop talking please, Ford I would like you to stop talking and pay attention please."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts