Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am rebuilding a 98’ Ford F-250 xlt four wheel drive. Standard bed. Seems to have been equipped with air suspension at some point, not sure if it came stock or not but I did notice a switch for air suspension in the cab down by all the electrical plugs. Anyways that metal rod is snapped and the bushings are out on both sides. The electrical device is also snapped. I’m looking to replace those parts with new ones and I am struggling finding the name of the parts.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,140 Posts
It is difficult to tell from just the photos, but the electrical device appears to be a height sensor and/or an air valve and the rods appear to be (very flimsy) radius rods (traction bars in drag racing lingo) to assist the leaf springs in controlling wheel hop and axle wind up. There should be an on board air compressor somewhere. Just guessing, but I hope it's start. "Air Lift" suspension products made a similar set up, but that doesn't look like their work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is difficult to tell from just the photos, but the electrical device appears to be a height sensor and/or an air valve and the rods appear to be (very flimsy) radius rods (traction bars in drag racing lingo) to assist the leaf springs in controlling wheel hop and axle wind up. There should be an on board air compressor somewhere. Just guessing, but I hope it's start. "Air Lift" suspension products made a similar set up, but that doesn't look like their work.
I believe you are correct because there seemed to be an air compressor on the lower end of the engine compartment. Near the engine block on the bottom. Kind of in the center. Also, there is an option for “On and Off” switch near all the electrical plugs inside the cab

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I
I believe you are correct because there seemed to be an air compressor on the lower end of the engine compartment. Near the engine block on the bottom. Kind of in the center. Also, there is an option for “On and Off” switch near all the electrical plugs inside the cab
I am having difficulty finding replacement parts.

·
Super Moderator
1,140 Posts
I wish I could help more, but I don't recognize the brand. I had Air Lift bags on an F 350 with a large Lance camper and was impressed with how well it worked. You might be bucks ahead to just start with a new system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I could help more, but I don't recognize the brand. I had Air Lift bags on an F 350 with a large Lance camper and was impressed with how well it worked. You might be bucks ahead to just start with a new system.
Would the previous wiring... etc.. be compatible?

·
Super Moderator
1,140 Posts
That would require a detailed inspection of the truck. Visually check the air lines from where the compressor was mounted and the wiring from ? to the cab mounted switch. I would not go overboard with spending on such an old system unless you can determine the brand and parts availability. You can then determine the best and most cost effective solution. Sometimes it's just cheaper and easier to start an entirely new system/kit, especially when you don't even have the old compressor.

·
Super Moderator
1,140 Posts
That appears to be a Ford part number and would have been helpful with our initial parts identification efforts. Ford had a "leveling suspension" that year, but I am not totally familiar with the truck system (only the Air Lift, as previously mentioned). I do know that it is not similar to the HPP Crown Vic air spring system as the trucks used leaf springs to support the vehicle weight and to locate the rear axle. The truck will function without the compressor and related parts. The parts shown, whether factory or aftermarket, are to level the truck when fully loaded. The radius rods add additional stability when the air shocks are extended. Whether the air suspension related parts are necessary depends on how much weight you intend to carry, though I would replace the radius rod bushings for stability, if not peace of mind. .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Baja,
Another issue came up when I was replacing the shocks. The number I got from this was... 04483.. I saw a ten off the side and a little lower than that sequence. Here are some pics. What is it? I know it’s a novice question. This is my first rebuild and I now live in a place I don’t know many people.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,443 Posts
This might help you in identifying the individual parts ,

·
Super Moderator
1,140 Posts
As you can see from Logan's info, it is best to replace the axle shaft assembly as a rebuilt unit. U joint and CV joints are not complicated but require specialized tools and some familiarity. If they are not making noise, just keep the boots in good shape and keep them lubed. On a different subject, the rear driveshaft splines on my F-350 need to be lubed about every 30,000 miles. This requires dropping the drive shaft, not a difficult task. You will know when it is needed by a "thunk" in the driveline, usually when slowing to a stop, that will drive you crazy until you find out what's causing it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts