Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Ingall Fan
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always liked Jnr johnson but the last two years have been pathetic what is wrong now i know the cars are not the best falcons out there but if wilson can make it competitive why cannot johnson get any pace at the last round he started in the top 10 lost at least 4-5 positions of the start got turned around by tander i know this isn't his fault but really he shouldent have been back that far.

What really is the question is, is it the driver or the car/team as i have stated above i like JNR johnson and i miss DJR being up there where they deserve to be Damn they evan got there early AU Racers on the pace and were the only ford team really rivaling HRT,KRT,Ect.... in 99,00 so what the hell is going on.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I think the biggest problem is with the cars.
If you look at the overall championship results over the last couple of years, Steve has beaten his team mate nearly everytime

Having said that, he probably does lack raw speed when you compare him to Radisich and Wilson, but he is consistent which is what is required these days

I dont think we have seen the best of Jnr yet

·
goooone
2,708 Posts
I think it's the cars more then anything. When DJR seemed to be on top of there AUs breifly he notched up 2 round wins & has shown speed at other times.I think Steve has beeten his team mate every year apart from his first at DJR.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i just want to see him up on the podium at least, and consistantly up there let it be jnr johnson or his team mate

·
XA GS FAIRMONT 302
449 Posts
From memory I think the problem started when the new control tyres were introduced. DJR just never seemed to get the cars setup right from that point in time.

·
Magna Owner & Proud of it
178 Posts
A lack of technical knowledge on how to set up and engineer cars brought on by a lack of experience in other categories (i.e. single seaters)

Sadly DJR have rented themselves a 2nd version of same for the other car.

Sensational stuff for the new Technical Director to play with... I wonder if he has the power to bim one or both these guys in 2004 if they arent performing up to expectations?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey 240 t i think i might know you, im from Gippsland and around your age. I think Johnson hasnt been performing because of an un-competitive car. He has shown his abilities in the au's but people are right about being beaten by his teamates. Max is a better driver on paper for sure, just look at his backround. But is Max a better v8 supercar driver? I no for sure if you give jnr a competitive car he does alright.
Regards
Anthony

·
ED Fairmont Member
276 Posts
Most times the bloody DJR engines blow up and piss oil everywhere! This has been happening since I started watching the V8s back in 2000, even when Radisich was there sticking it to everyone! Also the DJR cars, just like many other cars just cant match the crazy pace at the front of the field. Im sure if you put any driver from any team in a fully sick HRT, SBR etc car they'd all be on the podium. Or maybe J JNSN is just an average driver, not a fantastic one. Best of luck to the RAT and Wilson at 888! Two DJR rejects with now a great with team lots of $$$ Hopefully their days of wrting off race cars are over :)

·
Power by Pinto
401 Posts
I think that i will have to quote lefty on this one and say "oi, dont bag him."
It saddens me to see that DJR are just not performing upto their standard of old. I think the thing that is holding them back is the great big magnets in both the cars that make them collect each other all the time, get rid of those bloody magnets and they will be winning!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
JR johnson is a great driver,the team is a great team,always has been,but the BA has really put em behind the 8 ball,with the au's towards the end of the au's existence in v8 supercars DJR probably had more motor problems then any team,maybe 2004 will be better,i hope so i always watch DJR's performance probably more so then say FPV,but SBR is the team i watch,but next year i will be paying more interest in DJR i think,i been a fan since i was little,always will be.

good luck DJR for 2004

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Whats wrong with Jnr?

...where do I start?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I dont think its the teams inadequaties but more the lack of Jnrs grooming. If you look at most of the front end of the field they have either won or was runner up in formula fords, formula 3000, karting or one of the other high profile motorsports. I beleive that Jnrs only true drives where in trans ams series wasnt it? If it wasnt for his old man would he actually have been given a chance to drive or do a test drive? Mate i want DJR at the top, i have always been a DJR fan but i do beleive that the wrong decisions are being made, most likely to much money not being spent in the right places.

Elmer Fudd

·
Registered
244 Posts
I hope DJR improve for 2004 - it would be great to see Jnr and Luffy win Bathurst. Quick question: What eva happened to the sweet sounding exhaust note that DJR had with thier AU's? Just does'nt sound the same on the BA. Seems as though that sweet sound is no in the domain of 888 Motorsport.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I hope DJR improve for 2004 - it would be great to see Jnr and Luffy win Bathurst. Quick question: What eva happened to the sweet sounding exhaust note that DJR had with thier AU's? Just does'nt sound the same on the BA. Seems as though that sweet sound is now in the domain of 888 Motorsport.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
BOSSGT said:
If it wasnt for his old man would he actually have been given a chance to drive or do a test drive?...
Remember he was chased as a possible lowndes replacement at HRT when lowndes wernt overseas to race open wheelers, the thing that stopped the deal was uncertainty that he wouldn't pass information back to DJR.

Also remember that before he drove for DJR he had experience in another V8 supercar team (running commodores) also the racing for life falcon (which was admittedly a team that ran as a customer car deal to DJR)

·
17" is for 4cyc
1,859 Posts
My thoughts are still they haven't had great driver feedback for car setup since DJ/JBowe days.
Wilson and the Rat imo can drive a car, Jnr can drive as well but car set up ?

·
Editor on P Plates
2,482 Posts
Why do you think Ozemail suddenly got so much faster when JB came on board? He did all the set-up for DJR, and now he does it for BJR (as well as his work for FPV on their road cars).

The sport is so regulated (and that doesn't mean competitive) that without having a driver who's a whiz at setup you're really behind the eight ball.

Junior's not a bad driver - he can be blindingly fast when it suits him - but car setup is a black art that's become a mystery to DJR since JB departed.

Personally I don't think Luff will help much this year, and his hiring probably reflects more on their reduced budget available to them now they've lost some of their Ford funding to SBR & 888.

Has anyone even heard if they're going to bother running the AU in Konica again this year?

·
Now With 9 inch LSD Diff
575 Posts
IMHO i think luff will do great he is a top driver and has been around racing his entire life. Just wait til oran park where he can basically do the track blind folded considering he has drove around it so many bloody times, prob more than anyone!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts