Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of adding some mod's to my probe and was wondering what everyone thought. Any info would be helpful...

·
Mazda MX6 Member
103 Posts
I would start with cold air intake (either home made or Hot Shot) and K&N filter.....easy, noticable improvement, and a solid first mod :D

Now if you're looking for instant power there's no substute for good old n2o (my NOS kit just came in the mail today :nuts: )

It all depends on what you're goals are for your car, you could even go with apperance/audio mods....

·
Big Daddy
357 Posts
Re: what probe

otter said:
well first things first - what type of probe do you have?
Ok so you have a 94 GT. a good place to start is definetly a CAI then.. do you want performance or looks.. or both.. another good thing would be Springs.

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
Welcome to SacProbes - I hope that you will find good information in these pages.

As most said, a cold air intake will help your high RPM breathing. The next logical step is a set of headers for even better breathing above 5,000 RPM. Then your exhaust becomes the bottleneck.

With a good Intake/Header/Exhaust (I/H/E) combo you should see gains in the vicinity of 20hp at the flywheel.

Depending onthe mileage of your car, you may also consider upgrading the suspension wtih a set of Eibach springs and aftermarket struts (Tokico blues).

Now if you're looking for instant power there's no substute for good old n2o (my NOS kit just came in the mail today

Wow Ryan, you may have set the record as the quickest to move from newbie to nitrous :D:D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i have already had some stereo mod's so i'm ok there. But a lot of people have been saying the first mod I should get is exhaust, then CAI and headers. I was thinking about maybe borla and hotshot CAI, also i plan to install phenos, replace my valve cover gaskets and decarbonize my engine. i have a 94 PGT w/ 110k on it.

·
Mazda MX6 Member
103 Posts
Sounds like you're were I was a couple weeks ago!! I just finished the following:

*CAI (definately a noticable difference)
*VCG gaskets
*Phenos
*Greddy (if you plan on running n2o or boost sometime down the road you might consider the greddy. I went with the greddy after i read several posts on PT stating that the borla can be too restrictive with it's smaller piping if running n2o {not to mention it's on a 32 year back order :-(. And i LOVE the sound of my greddy from 2k-3k but after that it's too quite {is this normal??)
*and neon green VC and IM (looks really good if I do say so myself :)

Still waiting to be added:
*STS
*NOS (i'm still waiting for my purge valve and need to get a remote bottle opener before I install my kit, also I'm leavin for college tommorow and my "car time" will be cut a little shorter so I might not have it on for a couple weeks
*Test pipe (maybe, I've heard nothing positive about the greddy test pipe mix, but want to hear it for myself)

Dan [Sac] said:

Wow Ryan, you may have set the record as the quickest to move from newbie to nitrous :D:D
That's not the only record's I'll be setting once I get this thing on :eek: ;)

And I hope you boys are ready for lots of install questions once I get ready to slap this thing on!!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you saw a big difference? I still think that i am gonna go with borla. If i decide down the raod i want nos, then i will just have bigger custom pipes made. Probably still be less than greddy! oh what is STS? And where did you get your pheno's?

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
As for exhaust, also consider the HKS exhaust. I have had tha on when I was running nitrous, and I can't say enough about it. It's also got a killer sound, similar to an Italian supercar exhaust.

With nitrous I was making close to 270hp at the crank, so I know that the HKS worked well. I had the GReddy on before, but it was unbearably loud (with headers and test pipe).

I would get an exhaust first and then a home made CAI with either a K&N or HKS filter.

I'm Dan, by the way...SacProbes president, etc....have we met before? I drive the 'fast Probe' (light blue) seen at the Sacramento Raceway most Wednesday nights...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, well I'm Shawn. I don't think we have met and i haven't been ou to the track. Maybe i'll go there soon to see the only fast probe in Sacramento, until i finish my mod's that is....

·
Mazda MX6 Member
103 Posts
dan you had the test pipe and headers on w/ greddy...

i thought that was suppose to be a horrible sound??

do you know how it sounds with out test pipe...just headers and greddy??

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
I've heard a PGT with headers and GReddy (stock cat) and it sounded freaking awesome - my car, for some reason, sounded very raspy (but still deep). I just like the 'quiet killer' appearance better.

I'm going to dig through my links at home and see if I cna find those to the black Shogun GT in Florida that has a GReddy and headers (and nitrous)...I'll send'em to you if I find them.

Whatever you do, make sure you use the correct gaskets and have no leaks - exhaust leaks ruin a car's sound (and performance).

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what all would i need to install my phenos and valve cover gaskets? Are there any other gaskets i need besides the valve covers? About how much are they?

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
Get some gasket sealant or gasket makers to put around and on the pheno spacers to properly seal them.

Also replace the coolant hoses to the TB (it is easier to cut them when you remove the IM than to torture yourself and try to remove them). There are 2 of them, about 6-10" each.

While you're in that area, replace your fuel filter, since it's easily accessible with the IM and intake off.

If you remove the TB form the IM I would check and possibly replace the TB to IM gasket, depending on its condition.

The VCG are around $70 for both of them (depending where you buy them from) - usually Pep Boys are the most expensive.

·
Mazda MX6 Member
103 Posts
I got my VCG at riebes for $42.00

MARK EVERY HOSE!!!! You think you'll remember, but you'd be surprised, they all look the same after a couple hours.

If you've got the time and want a little extra flare paint your VC and IM it's a real eye catcher when you've got your hood up!!

Check mine out about half way down the page
http://www.scpoc.com/Meets/scpoc33.htm

(It looks a lot better now with the green CAI and the green hose tech kit on it, i'll get pics soon)

·
Mazda MX6 Member
103 Posts
Riebes is a auto parts store in my town (Auburn). They're just like Kragen or Auto Zone. I think (I don't know though) that they're are a few in Sacramento??

We've got 2 here in little old auburn.

I'd get'um for ya and ship um to you but I'm leavin for college tommorow :-(

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
whre at in Auburn? If i can't find them cheap here, i might have to go there and get them

·
Mazda MX6 Member
103 Posts
Get off at take 80, get off at highway 49 exit. Go left (at the end of off ramp). Go through first light (shell gas station on your right) and at the second light turn right and it's right on your right

I'd call first. It took them 2 days to order mine:

530-885-5134

They've got 2 different brands so if they quote you 1 price for like 84.00 ask if they've got another carrier of the gasket.

Any other questions let me know

1 - 19 of 19 Posts