Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think?

For mine it should be as follows...

1. AV Falcon (ute, wagon, sedan, engine line up)
2. Fte/Tickford hot Falcons
3. 4wd Variants (R5, Raptor)

And if you could kill one model what would it be??...

For mine the cougar. It has no cred, no image, and from what I hear stuff all sales. From Fte and no Tickford badges.. what's the point of that??

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
I'd say

1. AV Falcon
2. FTE/Tickford
3. Build Up street creed & win races
4. 4WD variants

I would also kill the Cougar

And now the announcement everyone's bee awaiting: DK is off to his first class of the day so he can stop wasting the excess time in the forums :D

·
Nacho Nacho Man!
3,514 Posts
Ford should be concentrating on brand image. No matter what they do with the cars, if they can't sell them and make profit again, they won't be able to make the cars we want.

Geoff Polites is fully aware of the current shortfall in Ford's image, and seems to be doing everything to correct years of neglect.

They need to be targetting the younger car drivers/buyers, even those who don't have a license yet. They need to rebuild their stocks of potential 'lifetime Ford owners'. I grew up a Ford kid, and I'm sure many on this forum did too. I've only ever owned Ford cars, and I always will (though if I can ever afford a GTS Viper, I'd have no dramas sitting that in the garage next to a future Falcon. :evil: :evil: :evil: )

Ford spent too long being a fleet car/taxi motor company, and not enough time looking after those who generate future Ford buyers. A kid riding in an AU taxi isn't going want to own a Ford - but if his dad owns a classy FTE Falcon and his brother owns monster Xr8, and Craig Lowndes/Ford is winning races, he has a great chance of growing old a Ford nut like the rest of us. :D

·
Mistress Death Metal ;)
1,372 Posts
This is where I and many others come in.

My main job at the Discovery Centre is to look after the many school groups which visit. We tailor visits to suit individual needs and teachers who have participated have been spreading the word about how useful and versatile we are as part of the curriculum. Late last year we unveiled Henry's Shed & Clara's Backyard, a purpose built area in the Discovery Centre which deals with environmental issues relating to cars and industry. This area includes a variety of 'fun' hands on activities for the children to participate in. At the end of the session the children are presented with an 'Environmental Licence'. Many hours of planning went into the setup of this permanent exhibit, much of the information came from Ford's Environmental Quality Office.

Another program about to be launched next week is "Ford Alive". This program offers the opportunity of being involved in the whole Ford experience. A visit to the Ford Discovery Centre, along with visits to both the Geelong Engine & Stamping Plant, and the Broadmeadows Production line are involved. Each child who participates will be presented with a showbag of Ford goodies (including a Ford temporary tattoo which was my idea to 'brand' the children, not to mention the exposure mum/dad gets while trying to scrub the thing off :)). This program has not only the full support of Ford Management, but also the State Government. In order to ensure the program has maximum impact many changes have been implemented such as upgrading the tractor trains for the factory tours, including disabled facilities on these trains, the support of web based booking systems and a web based homepage including a club and prizes and the construction of an auditorium at the Geelong plant to be used for hands on and visual displays relating to the tour of the plant.

This program will be the only chance very young children will have to visit a working vehicle manufacturing plant as safety has been upgraded to allow all ages to participate. Other plants which offer a tour do not cater for children under the age of ten. How many of you wish you had been able to participate in this type of program while you were at school?

If anyone is interested in finding out more about this program, email me and I will post you a brochure as soon as I have some to distribute.

This is one of many initiatives being introduced to ensure the future success of the brand. :thumbup:

:cool:

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
The above sounds interesting.

Regarding the killing off of the Cougar, in opinion Ford should just move it into the showroom with all the Lasers etc... and try and sell it so its not a specialty item like FTE, personally I like the Cougar but unfortunatly it is a model we don't get here in NZ. :?:

·
Nacho Nacho Man!
3,514 Posts
Yeah, my thoughts exactly DK! I've got plenty of room around my existing tatts for a temporary Ford tatt!! :evil:

As for the Cougar, those wear Mercury badges in the states, so it won't be much of a loss if they disappear from showrooms. :thumbdown

·
Mistress Death Metal ;)
1,372 Posts
I think I should be able to get a few tattoos for you guys.

That is, after I have put enough aside for my own personal use ;)

The only drawback for this program is that at the moment it targets Victorian children in particular, although if interstate schools are willing to travel or are on a camp they will be most welcome to come along. Geographically it is difficult to aim at a wider market, but we are looking at what we can do in other states. If anyone has any great ideas, let me know :)

:cool:

·
blue blooded ford fan
190 Posts
ONE WORD.....TURBO. If the cougar had a turbo motor then i think we'd see a few more flyin around the streets.
-broomy

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
I do believe Ford Oz already turned down importing a 150Kw version of the cougar so i doubt that they'll be putting a turbo on it anytime soon :fmad:

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ford Man said:
How about the priorities though??... :confused:
C'mon, I'm serious... lets here your opinions :WH:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
My ideas.

1:more sporty and luxury varients of the current models
2:more choice with powertrain/bodystyles
3:more niche models that follow the performanc and luxury credo from FTE.
As for the Cougar I think that while it looks OK, compared to the Celica etc it really dosen't have a hope so kill it and bring in the Puma at mainstream dealers.

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
OK my turn:

1. Brand Image/V8 supercar success! Obviously the most important aspect, Holden prove this, you don't need a good quality product to sell it, just a good image

2. Standard AV's have to be on the ball, styling and technology wise.

3. FTE/XR!

4. Raptor project!

I agree that the Cougar should be moved to the standard showroom and only be a part of the FTE brand if Tickford develop their own Turbo, bodykit for it!

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
I agree with those orders although i think Raptor should go without saying. It needs to go on in the background no matter whats going with the current range.

Do not forget the utes whether the sedans are selling well or not. Very important to keep those beating dunnydoors.

Also some magic to get the Fairlane and LTD back where they belong.

Dont let Holden get a years head start on a 5 auto either!

T

·
0 Posts
here are my priorities

1/ Fred Gibson to take over FTR so we can at least get 3 fords up the front instead of one. (you know who)

2/ Fred to have an input on the T'series, as far as who, what, when, where, and how.

3/ For proper markrting and increased sales for the AV, go back to the double wing, more sporty interior, with a revised body kit and 2 colour paint job, AND at a reasonable price.

4/ For our ute, do what holden are doing, and put a removable glass roof in the ute. the well needs to have more shape so it coincides with the front of the vehicle.

as for extra power on all the above, ford can save thousands simply by spending $100 for a 20-30 hp increase just by fitting an underdriven crankshaft pulley. this lets everything else spin slowly allowing the engine to get the power to the ground.
sorry geoff I know you had already had this planned.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
THE DOCTOR said:
4/ For our ute, do what holden are doing, and put a removable glass roof in the ute. the well needs to have more shape so it coincides with the front of the vehicle.
Ya reckon??.. Personally I don't like the Utester concept, 'cause I really can't see the use for it. Then again I'm not a big fan of sunroofs in general... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
12 Participants
FM
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing