Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
NA Fairlane 4.0i
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to sell the damaged car for some money and get another car as replacement, the car must meet the following criteria:

-Bigger than a Telstra
-Less or equivalent fuel consumption as my MPFI I6 Fairlane
-Strong and tough structure
-A/C & Cruise control is a must
-Best if electric windows are equipped
-Can't spend more than $7k, including all costs

Here are the cars that are currently on my list:

1. Ford NA Fairlane
Same as the previous one, but it would be a bit strange to get the same car.

2. Ford EB/ED Fairmont
Pros: Better trimming than NA Fairlane
Cons: Some gadgets are omitted. Also sounds a bit more expensive compared to another NA.

3. Ford EF Futura
Pros: Nice look and better engine, Airbags
Cons: Lower level of equipment and low end trimming doesn't sound to attractive to me.

4. VN/VP Calais
Pros: Fuel consumption, IRS for VP
Cons: Harsh motor, usually poor maintainence, hoon car image, weak chassis, horrible shape, it's a Holden

5. VR Commodore / Toyota Lexcen
Pros: Fuel consumption, modern shape, IRS
Cons: Low level of equipment, expensive, weak chassis, it's a Holden

6. Mitsubishi TR/TS Magna
Pros: Low prices, fuel consumption
Cons: I don't like it's a FWD and the ugly shape

7. Toyota Camry (Wide bodied)
Pros: Fuel consumption, it's a toyota
Cons: The car that hit my Fairlane is a TOYOTA!, looks like every other car on the road, FWD

8. Nissan Maxima
Pros: Good engine, fuel consumption
Cons: Expensive, FWD

9. Nissan Cima (Import)
Pros: I can do the import myself!, moderate price, luxurious, RWD, fuel consumption, good engine, it's an import!
Cons: It's an import!, expensive to maintain, complicated to work on, I need to wait for 6 weeks.

Ok, so what u guys believe I should get?

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I'd go with an EB II/ED Ghia. They are miles ahead of an NA. Sure it's not LWD but the interior is pretty much the same, fuel consumption will be less and the car is better overall.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Get a EF, whack in some decent seats(the front bucket seats on the EF GLi are a [email protected] joke, cos they are too high and too hard and look shit) and it will look nicer and feel heaps more posh then your NA.

And why would you want electric windows if your aircon works

·
{';'}
4,356 Posts
I second what psycho chicken said. The NA is a bit dated compared to the EBII/ED, plus you've just had one. Personally I'd probably be looking for an EF even though it doesn't have the luxo features - then again, there was an EF Fairy sold on these forums for $7K or thereabouts. The other choices you've basically cancelled out. Although the only other one I'd consider from your list is the Maxima...

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
I think 7 grand should easily get a half decent EF Fairmont, which should tick all the boxes. Spend the time to find a well looked after example, though.

Best of luck mate. :thup:

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
he said $7k including all costs, so i'm assuming this means stampduty/insurance etc is included in that $7k?
if thats the case, the EF Fairmont would be a tad outa reach unless you're damn lucky.
EF GLi/Futura may be just in reach but it may be a poorer example and lead to a few mire issues later.
IF it were me, i'd be looking at an EB/ED Fairmont/Ghia, the equipment levels arnt that much different to the NA and you have the advantage of 4speed auto, 4.0 mpfi and a more refined body :)

·
-
1,675 Posts
Good luck finding a nice EBII/ED Ghia for $7k.. the ghias seem to attract rather high figures, even when in poor shape..

An EBII/ED Fairmont has 99% of the bits in a ghia anyway - climate, cruise, windows, velour trim.. very nice car, and if you look hard enough, youll get change from $7k for some bits and pieces :D

Jase

·
Registered
43 Posts
Go either the EB/ED Ghia or the EF. There were a few in trading post at around that price just recently. Just really depends i guess on what shape you want.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I'd go for a EF Fairmont or VR Berlina for that sort of money. Both cars have all of the features you're after and more. And they would leave an NA for dead in outright acceleration, while returning better fuel economy figures.

Ash

·
Formerly: SmokeEA
1,117 Posts
i go an EB 2 or ED monty, they arent that expensive, and come woth all the features you desire. For 7k you probably could get one, and insure it and still have a couple of hundred left over to play with.

·
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA
1,043 Posts
eb2/ed fairmont for sure.

like said above, i would be very suprised, if you couldnt find a decent example, rego, insure, and slam it ;) for 7k

cheers.joe.

·
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane
3,293 Posts
dude id hit the auctions. youd be surprised what you can get for 6-7k.
gotta laugh at a guy i know that went to the auctions.....he was wrapped with his purchase (last year).........VN berlina, stock, over 200k, V6 for his 'bargain price' of $7300. i dont know what he was thinking! bet the guy selling was happy with that!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Davway is spot on. Go to the Auctions. EF fairmonts don;t usually go past 6k at fowles.

Next best bet is to go wholesale, or buy a car that has been traded into a dealer if you happen to know anyone in the car dealing industry. My mate traded in a good EF2 Fairmont for 4.5k recently.

As for the TR/TS Magna. Forget about them, they're more trouble than they're worth. I should know, my father had one for a few years. Now he has a much nicer car.
Also they're worth almost nothing so don;t pay any more than 5k for a '95 Verada for instance.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yep, Austions are the CHEAPEST way possible to get a second hand car bar stealing one. But remember it's only cheap if you are mechanically minded, which I made the mistake of not being when I bought a EA from there about 4 years ago. I didn't know how to check out what was wrong with it, and it cost me a heap of money to get the mechanic to fix all the things to get it roadworthy.

Now that I am mechanically minded and know a lot about the E-series, helped my bro buy a EF from the auctions and it cost $2500 for the car and then just under $2000 to fix it all at home($770 of that was for a new EF Head from fraud spare parts!). So for about $4200 we had a EF with all the things that usually wear out replaced(we replaced front shocks, front tyres, radiator and water bottle and of course head) and only 160K on the clock. Good bargain I reackon, but remember if we got a mechnic to do it they probably would have charged $2000 in labour for the few days of work it took me to get it roadworthy.

·
NA Fairlane 4.0i
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will go to have a look at a EB Ghia 92' later on, not sure if it's and Series 2 or not. But it have got ABS, mags and leather trimming (I thought it was supposed to be velour on ghia?). But mileage is a bit high, I'll see how it goes tommorrow.

·
BOFH
7,777 Posts
gm dstroya said:
eb2/ed fairmont for sure.

like said above, i would be very suprised, if you couldnt find a decent example, rego, insure, and slam it ;) for 7k

cheers.joe.
Yeah, it's a no brainer to me. Lets face it, a Fairmont Ghia is a SWB Fairlaine, the EB/ED is probably one of the best looking modern Falcons ever and you will have change to fix up any of the issues likely to occur in that aged car.

I had a 5.0l EB2 Fairmont and I still regret selling it. Sure the XR6 is nice but the Fairmont was all class and had more power than I really ever needed to use. I loved that car!

·
E-Series wagon owner
1,929 Posts
i would say go the ef futura or the eb/d ghia
for any one who don't know what a cima is this is it,

·
E-Series wagon owner
1,929 Posts
personally imo that car is just not my cup of tea , looks a little odd
but on the upside has all the features of a monty for $6000 which aint too bad

docomo: if you wonna know where i found this car for $6100 with shippage then e-mail me and ill send you the link to the dealer

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
19 Participants
MickyB
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing