Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I own a 1963 Galaxie and would like to change to Disc brakes.
I would like to use the front spindles from another year ford that would
work with my front end? I think I heard something about Granada spindles?
Newer Galaxie?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
917 Posts
wrimda said:
Hello,

I own a 1963 Galaxie and would like to change to Disc brakes.
I would like to use the front spindles from another year ford that would
work with my front end? I think I heard something about Granada spindles?
Newer Galaxie?

Thanks
Mike
Ask at your local Rod club

·
Registered
198 Posts
Check with Dearborn classics.com, they have a kit to put disc brakes on the Galaxies.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I think the first US Galaxies to run Disc Brakes as an option were the 1966 models? They might fit? The Australian 1966 Galaxies did'nt have this option,but got them in later models.The Australian 1969 Galaxie had a disc brake front,but I'm not sure about 1967 or 1968??

·
Registered
118 Posts
lukeh said:
I think the first US Galaxies to run Disc Brakes as an option were the 1966 models? They might fit? The Australian 1966 Galaxies did'nt have this option,but got them in later models.The Australian 1969 Galaxie had a disc brake front,but I'm not sure about 1967 or 1968??

i think they might be different luke

or at least they are on the 63 fairlane......nothing fits from 65 up....not much aussie falcon stuff either...

anyway im O/T a bit

·
Registered
868 Posts
compact said:

or at least they are on the 63 fairlane......nothing fits from 65 up....not much aussie falcon stuff either...

anyway im O/T a bit
I had a 1962 Compact Fairlane years ago and remember putting XW stubs and discs on it...I'm sure they went straight on from memory,but maybe I just had to change the tie-rod ends was all and get a front end alignment?

·
Registered
118 Posts
lukeh said:
I had a 1962 Compact Fairlane years ago and remember putting XW stubs and discs on it...I'm sure they went straight on from memory,but maybe I just had to change the tie-rod ends was all and get a front end alignment?
did you get any bump steer luke?.....i thought that this mod could cause bumpsteer........just the info ive got from the experts....or so to speak

youve done it so your info is probably more correct....did you drive it on dirt at all?

and mate im definatley no having a go at you ......just thought i should say that in case.

Cheers Darren

·
Registered
868 Posts
I drove many miles in it covering all different terrain...it was my everyday transport.I often drove it on dirt roads locally and even took it camping a few times in the bush.I can't remember it giving me any trouble? but it was about 15 years ago,so details on exactly what was involved with the conversion escape me...but I remember not doing anything dramatic.I have never really been one for asking 'experts' if something can be done,as often they only think they know everything and can be mistaken just like the rest of us humans.The best way for me has always been to try for myself and see what happens...thanx,luke!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
hey luke, thanks for that, ive never driven a compact with that setup

as ive said it will make it bumpsteer due to the differnet arm angle.......but wether or not it affects the car greatly is only proven by driving it......your comments have put the final push on doing the conversion as its the easiest.

i think early commodores were meant to have one of the worst angles of any car about 20 mm out yet they were ok to drive....or as good as they can be

·
Registered
868 Posts
It pretty much came about by necessity the conversion.I could'nt handle the drum brake front end any longer and wanted to do something about it.I was on a really tight budget and had got hold of some XW stub axles,disc's and callipers.I did'nt know anyone else with a Compact...or who had tried this conversion before,so I remember just doing a few basic measurements and trying them on.I can't remember having any trouble with it,but I remember getting the old girl bouncing the speedo needle at 110 MPH or whatever a few times both before and after the conversion at differant stages.Mine had a 289 and C4 in it though and not the original 221 Windsor.I initially got my Compact Fairlane from a wreckers initially and sold it a few years ago now.The wreckers got it from Grundy's Studios or something as it had just been used in an episode of 'The Flying Doctors' TV Series.

·
Registered
118 Posts
what a cool piece of history luke

i cant wait to get mine done.....only prob is i always seem ton find more wrong,,,,,ya know...a little dent here and there.....snd im only doing the engine bay atm.......anyway mate....good chattin to you again

Darren

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have heard that there is some year thunderbird that the spindles fit off of. i will have to look it up, it was in a magazine a few years ago... hot rod mag. I think.

·
Registered
1 Posts

anyway im O/T a bit
Know this is super late, but, 69 mustang/ cougar disc brake spindles drop right in to the 63-65 fairlanes, no changing the tie rod ends, no changing any kind of suspension geometries. This is how I got disc brakes on my 63

1 - 15 of 15 Posts