Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Psychopathic 6cyl. Freak!
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walking back to the office from Lunch on Pacific Highway I saw a Hyundai Elantra pass slowly in the Traffic, and I smelt that all too familiar "burning rubber" smell.

I glance more close at the Hyundai and the rear tyres were SMOKING! (From near the quarter panel arch) But the thing was this car wasn't being driven fast and is an FWD.

Aren't the brakes usually at the front for those?

I swear, it didn't look good at all! :AAHHH:

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Probably a smoke generator to go with the blow off valve noise generator!!

Cheers
Russ

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Sometimes the rear bearings seize on those things. My bro-in-law had one of the early models and both his rear wheels started smoking then they completely locked up. He was only going slow fortunately but if they arent regularly packed they can be a hassle.

On the other hand the handbrake is also a logical explanation.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Probably wasn't satisfied with blinding drivers from behind with the rear fog light left on in clear weather and so decided to create a smoke screen as well. By the way is there an in dash warning light for the old rounded Hyundai Excels that warns when a fog light is on?

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
could b brakes

when i changed the brakes on my xe, there was shitloads of smoke

·
Psychopathic 6cyl. Freak!
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the rear wheels though, Mad Wog? It's an FWD; I'm positive the Elantra's don't have four wheel disc brakes.

I thought something was actually burning in there! Ruptured fuel line or something; I dunno! It was really smoking up!

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
Tyre rub ? Possible (severe) underinflation ?

Unless the rears were locked byu the h/brake (which surely the dumbest driver would notice), wouldn't you get a brake smell instead of rubber ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts