Ford Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Probe GT Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say you buy a pair of subwoofers and an amp that matches your subs specs. Then your subs blow and you go back to the subwoofer website and the RMS rating magically dropped 50w. :fmad:

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
one I would be pissed. two... I would go and look at the subs specs that shipped in the box or on the box. If they were the rating you understood them to be I would contact the manufacturer and have them replace them. Period. If they specs are the 50 below then I hate to say you are SOL.

:WH:

·
Probe GT Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a paper that came with the subs that say 300-400 RMS while thier website now says maximum RMS is 250w :confused:

G

·
amped up

What kind of amp. Driving a sub upto and past the point of distortion with a smaller amp is much worse than good clean high power in a good box. I'm giving subs that handle 500w RMS, 700 w RMS and they're taking it. But it's an Orion XTR 1400 so its real clean.

·
Pimp of the Nation
19 Posts
:spe: :spe:

This board has some cool smileys. :hit:

·
DESIGN is my LIFE
104 Posts
umm, aren't you guys replying to this topic a little late? :shh:

·
Probe LX Member
36 Posts
Unless you were running junk subs and/or a junk amplifier running a bit more power is not going to ruin your subs. The problem is elsewhere.

·
One Winged Angel
64 Posts
Quality of the amp is very important.

·
Probe GT Member
34 Posts
You always want a more powerful amplifier than your subs can handle so you are always running clean undistorted power to the subs. Just don't push the subs themselves past the point of distortion.

·
Probe LX Member
36 Posts
Well, actually as long as you properly set the gains on your sub amplifier there will be a minimal risk of running a distorted signal to the subs. Set them so the loudest volume you can handle comfortably is about 3/4 of the deck's volume and you're ready to go.

·
Probe GL Member
13 Posts
I'm confused

Why is everyone on the subject of matching amps with subs again? He had an amp that pushed what the subs said they'd take...turns out they didn't because the manufacturer decided they weren't capable of doing so. Has nothing to do with "distortion" :shrug:

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts