Ford Forums banner

WHat do you use your ute for?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
EFII Ghia owner
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you falcon ute owners out there, i was wondering what you use your ute for and if you want, why?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Dave
I use my Ute for work and play as its my only good car, I've still got my old Hilux which I use when I want to cart over 1 tonne, I was going to buy a BA XR8 Sedan, but I figured as I'm still single and 90% of my drivig is going to work and back so I bought the BA XR8 Ute as I could go to work carrying my tools and on the weekend just take the gear out (nice and light again) and go for nice cruises, race around some nice roads and still get good looks from people while cruising plus I also bought it for the power.

I like the Crewman, but if Ford finally make a Dualcab I will be the 1st on the list, as I used to have a Navara Dualcab which was far more practical but underpowered.

Cheers
Bonk.

·
Banned
2,046 Posts
The idea of the crewman was to be able to have people in the backseat as well as maintain the ability to use it as a utility.

Ever sat in the back of a Crewman? I'm sure whoever had to sit in the back would have a different opinion of the ute to the driver :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
blackout said:
The idea of the crewman was to be able to have people in the backseat as well as maintain the ability to use it as a utility.

Ever sat in the back of a Crewman? I'm sure whoever had to sit in the back would have a different opinion of the ute to the driver :)

I know what you mean blackout, thats why I didnt get it, my Navara was far more comfy in the rear than the Crewman, just hope (If they do that is) Ford make a more spacious Dualcab. Here's hoping!

·
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane
3,293 Posts
well lets just say that technically a panelvan is a ute.
i got my panelvan coz it was cheap, it looked good, could come in handy and would also restrict bludgers from trying to scab lifts off me.
works a treat too.

·
Dev 5 Mutant
1,383 Posts
I wanted a ute. I argued the point that it'd be useful. There's been stacks of opportunities since getting the sedan that a ute could have been a better choice eg 2 house moves, some purchases of large whitegoods(load em up) etc.

Somewhere a magazine had written that utes were the new "coupes".

I still want one. Preferably a pursuit stroker 5.6L one thanks.

·
V8 ute driver!
984 Posts
Carting other people's shit for them!
I originally wanted one to cart my motobike in but i had to sell the bike to buy the ute so it sorta screwed that idea.

P.S. you'd get a better response if ya posted this in the ute forum! :wnc:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Love my ute and when i first bought it is was a 2 door race car. As it turned out she was just and good (almost) at making money as spending it. So now she is a bit of both. AND as my ute is an earner i'll be allowed a ute of my choice for many years to come. NO use for a minister of finance if theres no finance.

·
Territory TS - AWD
2,374 Posts
Sadly the old XG's gone now but it filled many roles;
  • Day-to-day commuter vehicle - to get me to the office job
  • Weekend backyard blitz vehicle of choice - landscape supplies etc
  • Garage/Yard cleanups taking all the crap to the tip (oops, I mean recycle centre)
  • Schoolbus - with the bench seat good enough to collect my 2 kids
  • Plaything - it was OK to do minor mods on the ute but the missus wouldn't let me fool with her car
  • and it had more street cred than the family car

·
Registered
95 Posts
My BA XR8 is not used for work as I drive a desk for a living.

I live in suburban Sydney so call me an urban cowboy if you like.. but I reckon I still have enough country left in me to justify it.. but if you think about it, it's just a station wagon with no back seats, a shortened roof and an elongated boot...!

Steve

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Most certainly a dual purpose sports/race/truck/offroad/dune/rally/drag/circuit car.

My XH gets thrashed on the road, drag strip, circuit and anywhere else I can find.

It tows heavy double axle trailers with consistent regularity, does interstate trips with said trailer, has shit in the tray, motorbikes, timber, you name it.

I've had 1000kg in the tray, and over 2000kg of double axle trailer behind me and it still didn't stop.

Utes are the most versatile vehicle on the road IMO.

Rick.

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
Fordy said:
I consider mine a 2 door sports car with a big boot.
like wise..

the only time i put stuff in mine is when we race Rods Monza..
big jack, enough methanol to blow Heathcote Park.....and a few tools...

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
I used my ute for garden stuff around the house, trips to the tip, helping people move, and 'cause I wanted one.

Sold it to my father in law, and now I can use it whenever I need it, and I don't have to pay for rego/insurance.

·
EFII Ghia owner
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
a few people buying utes even though they diddnt need it for work, i thaught i was the only one who was thinking about buying one even though i dont need it for work.

I guess if i asked the same question to toyota hilux owners the answers would be very different

·
BOSS 260
653 Posts
I use my ute for work (fruit business), and on the weekend use it for going out & it's good not having to drive ya mates everywhere, being a taxi.
I was going to get the sedan but the ute gets used during the week, and on the weekend :) doesnt sit at home.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts