Ford Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate any opinions on the best wet weather tyre up to $150 per tyre. Would be nice if there's good stuff a lot cheaper. Main thing I want is wet grip and one bloody good stop in the wet when it really matters. Happy to trade off wear for wet grip. Not worried about putting them on the limit because I don't. Have usually run Yokohama A509's, but last lot were Pirelli P5000's and I don't think they're in same class as Yoko's, and they seemed to get noisier after a while. Yoko's are overkill for the sort of ordinary driving I do, so I'm wondering whether there's value in cheaper and mainstream tyres and whether they've come on since I settled on Yoko's a dozen years ago.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Maate, i drive on Yoko's as well, i've the A539 with the silica compound bloody awesome tyre, grips, very quiet and top performance in wet and dry. Can driving at 130km/h around bends and sticks like buggery.

I got mine for $150 a tyre there in 215/60 R15's.

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
I've got donuts on my car and I muust say they do the trick real well.
I have had a couple of need-to-stop-quick moments with these on and never had a prob.
They're quiet and they last well.

from memory they were $125ea for 215/65/R14

·
Australian BA XR6 Falcon
1,249 Posts
I've just put Firestone Firehawk SZ50's on the XR6, got them for $115 each for 215/60:15's.

I drove into Bridestone on a wet day, previous tyres where Michelins and drove out afterwards and was amazed at how much better the performance was.

Talking to the Bridestone guys, they said the above where better than the Bridgestone G'Grids but not as good as the G'Grid II's.

I have also tried Pirelli Duragos, good in the wet but bloody noisy so I steered away from them :)

Kieron

·
ST170ish
610 Posts
Dont go on what they say about the Ggrid 2's
my ute has Ggrid2 17/225/50's($250ish)good
in the dry...useless in the wet(unless you like
4 wheel drifting, Yeahaa!!)
The old Kumho's(how u spell)15/215/65's it
had on it before I got the wheels were heaps
better in the wet...but usless in the dry!

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
G-GRIDS

I Had ggrid on my eb aprox 4 years ago,(must have been series 1 i guess). F**:)N unbelieveable in the wet, talk about stick like turds. They lasted forever and the only complaint was the noise, sounded like you were driving with flat tyres. they were 150 each back then- dont know about now.

·
"Tickford- Own the road"
299 Posts
TYRES

Mr EA S, i use Silverstone STV's on my ED. A lot of my friends do to, as I talked them into trying them, and they swear by them. They have Falcons, Commodores, Corollas etc. They are a good all round tyre, wet and dry, simply the best for value and wear and tear. They come with a lifetime gaurantee.

According to your name, EA S, i take it you drive an EA S pack, probably with 15 inch rims. I sell all types of tyres, for motorbikes, trucks, cars etc, so heres a qoute:

205/65/15: $115 each fitted & balanced

215/60/15: $125 each fitted & balanced

or, some EA's ran 14 inchers, so if this is you then

215/65/14: $105 each fitted & balanced.

I also sell every brand on the market. Good luck.:cool:

·
300+rwkw DC LTD Member
1,622 Posts
If ya have 15" wheels ya can't go past G-GRID's.

I've put them on anything with 15's. IMO nothing better

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
Well Ive tried b/stone sS02's Michellin mmx's Goodyears & Dunlops... MPO the G/Grid II's 225/50/16 are well priced, stick like the proverbial to ya shoes & wear bloody good. All tyres have their up's & down's but some have more down's than others

·
Super Moderator
3,872 Posts
I currently have Kelly's on the Fairlane. I had to have new tyres fitted around Easter time and they were the only ones that my tyre dealer had available as a set of 5 and all the distributors were closed. I didn't really want them but to my surprise thay have outlasted all the Kumho, Bridgstone, Dunlop and Goodyear tyres I had on this car and grip-wise appear on par with the other tyres I tried in the $95 to $130 bracket. Perhaps it's just that I had the strut brace fitted at the same time; while the car has doesn't have strut suspension the brace seems to stopped the camber changing like it was. In any event prior to the Kelly's and the strut brace i was lucky to get a set of to last more than 15,000 km.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.