Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Just intrigued on everyones first wheels imbarrasing or not. Spill the beans guys. Also tell us what was your experience with that car, was it your pride and joy or a s*** box.

Me, well my first is still my current car and i love it to death, enough said.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
1981 KA Laser, 1.3 manual. A dictionary definition of both gutlessness and fuel efficiency. Could run on $10 of juice for weeks, but at the cost of taking longer to get places. Was a very reliable little bugger though, I drove it real hard and it came back asking for more :D

I'll most likely be getting one again as a second car once a family of my own begins to develop... top little shopping trolley! :cool:

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Like Mike, I started out with a 1.3l manual Laser, except mine was a 1983 KB. It was a family 'hand-me-down'. My mother owned it first, and babied it (and smashed it in her only accident in 34 years of driving) before handing it down to my sister after she bought a Suburu Impreza. My sister proceeded to fang the crap out of it, and even suceeded in breaking an engine mount (in a 1.3l Laser???) By the time I got it, it was dead. It last 150,000 odd k's before it truely died. Wasn't a bad car, but could have used the extra 200mL as the 1.5l engine was much better. Working on it was easy, most things that broke was easily fixed by myself. The funniest 'breakage' was when my car battery decided to 'free float' inside the engine bay, and the negative lead broke. In desperate need for an earth connection, my car opted for the clutch cable as I depressed the clutch for a downshift approaching a roundabout (cable loses 'grease' insulation when you apply the clutch). That resulted in a loud bang and a small engine fire, and a days work getting a new cable and replacing the two broken halves. :D

·
Territory TS - AWD
2,374 Posts
Well yes I am a convert from the dark side.

First car was a 2-door LJ Torana.
But back then I loved Holdens, go figure? (Commodore:thumbdown - Torana:thumbup:)

A great first car, it was only 7 years old when I got it while still on my L's.
(So how old am I now???)

It ended up a GTR wannabe. Nah it was better!
Full K-Mac suspension, real low - scraped everywhere.
Heart transplant to a 192 (HP Block) red that I built myself, hot cam 35-75 with solid lifters, ported & polished head, initially a 4bbl Cain manifold with a 465 holley, later replaced by triple 45mm DCOE webers, extractors & twin (yes on a six) 2" pipes with straight through mufflers. 13"x7" hotwires with TA's. Battery relocated to the boot, and for the last year or so before I sold it also had a 5spd celica box. It was a screamer!

:cool: Ah the memories :cool:

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Beige Mk1 Fiesta 1.1. Great little car, I remember putting 14' alloys on it!!!!! Not bad because the standard one were 12'!!
Had it for a few years before selling it and coming to the big brown land.....;)

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
1980 XD Fairmont Ghia. It was converted to a manual, lowered, sports exhaust. It used to cane my mates 302 XD.... Still miss it, got rid of it last year for the XR...

·
Interloper from LS1.com
768 Posts
First car (back in NZ) was a 1985 Mitsi Sigma 2.0 5spd - did me proud, even tolerated me putting it over a bank at North Piha.

First car in Aus was a 1997 VS Exec.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
If you take into account that my 1st car only lasted 2 weeks it was a vn commondore station wagon.

It now has a perm 120 year old tree imprinted into the front of it!

·
Registered
134 Posts
First car

First (and present) car is '96 EL Futura..seems to be pretty good so far...economical with duel fuel and has enough go for me...only modifications so far is new Pioneer CD player and upgrade of rear speakers...hope to upgrade front soon.

Spent two months driving car with P's (after driving dad's F100 with no powersteering), good transition from old to new!!:cool:

·
Hawthorn Supporter
1,808 Posts
I don't like to say this but my first car was a 88' red VL Calais 5.0 litre injected.
It was a carby when i first got it then i put a fuel injection system on it.
Hopefully i'll be a stroker T-Series or Lowndes XR8 owner very very soon. :D

I want pics of the T-Series Stroker so badly. :(
Does anyone know what it will look like?

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
My first car was a blue 1.5l KA Laser in 4 speed manual. Never had any problems with it although I did have a minor accident in it.

It served me well and I was not power hungry back then so the lack of grunt did'nt worry me.

·
Australian Falcon Member
663 Posts
Falcon all the way!!

lol.. got an XE S-pack as a first car, then some wanker in a ute, driving without a lic had a head-on with me, then with the insurance payout I got an XD wagon, and I'm not looking back!

G

·
0 Posts
My first car I bought was a '66 XR Falcon ute unlicensed and for $40 when I was 15.
It had a 20 litre drum in the back with fuel and a rubber hose going down the side of the ute and to the fuel pump cause the fuel tank leaked.
Also had a couple of rust holes which I bogged up with some wall plaster.
My ol' mans place had a driveway going on a down hill slope so I used to let the car roll forward or backwards and do burnouts since I wasn't able to drive it on the road , the ol man wasn't impressed when there were lots of black marks on the driveway...hehehe.
Sold it later for $80.00

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Seems that the bulk of us started out with Fords. :D This is what Ford is angling for now, life long Ford drivers. Saw many kids with GMS/Ford gear on at Oran Park and on telly, so there's hope yet.

A few others started on the dark side and converted. As for Brendan, when you start with a Sigma I guess a Commodore is a step up, of sorts. ;)

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very interesting reading guys, noticed a good number of Lasers as a first car. Must be tough as nails.

Must admit i wish i had my own car when i was on my L's and P's cause i reckon i'd learn better starting from a car with less hp's. To let you guys in on a secret i looked at a number of cars for my first car before taking over the EF.

Cars considered were, XF Falcon, Honda Accord 1988, Toyota Corolla and don't laugh a Nissan Micra :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: . Geeez i wouldn't be seen dead in one now. It should be noted that i wasn't really a ford man back in my L's and P's days.

But the EF sure did teach me about Ford Power and ruggedness. Now i'm a Ford falcon freak through and through..

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
First car for me was Subaru 4wd wagon I inherited from the oldies. Bloody hated it. Very uncool.:cool: I saved up and bought an FC Holden but I knew sweet fa about cars then and purchased a smokey rust bucket. Sold that and bought a TD Cortina XLE 250 (non c/f) 4 speed. Sweet. A couple of years later I bought another Cortina, this one turbo!:D Have to be one of the quickest cars I've been in, pity about the brakes and the handling though.:eek:

·
Rail Rider
1,248 Posts
1973 Holden HQ Premier Limited Edition 25th Annerveirsery(sp)

A hand me down from my Mother to Father to me.
The interior was shot, the engine was shot, the gearbox was shot, the diff was shot, the tyres were shot, the suspension was shot, no paint on it and the boot lid leaked badly rusting the boot out. It didn't pass NSW rego so I begged mum for 3 grand and bought 'THE XD'. From then on it was Ford or nothin'. XD, XF, EB.

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
First was an 1984 GB Meteor.!

Was a gooden. Except the rear suspension made an annoying squeak!,

I miss that car. :~( Some indians brought it and have now smashed it up a bit.

My Second car was a KN 99 Laser.. Heap of ****, It was a 1.6L same as my Meteor. But unfortunatley was as gutless as the meteor as well..

Had more rattles than a baby's cot, so i traded it up on an AUII - im still happy with the AUII.

·
HORSE POWER FACTORY
257 Posts
My Car

My 1st car was the XBGT Coupe that has been posted up in the showroom.:D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts