Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dunno whats happening to my car. It feels like its dying. I was driving along and my anti-lock light came on whenever i was pressing the brake. So i pulled into a parking lot. I stopped the car and it didnt want to start up again. Someone gave me a boost with the jumping cables and my car worked fine for like a day...then last night all my light on the insight almost went off. Same with my headlight. Again i pulled over. As soon as i turned off the radio and the a/c everything was back to normal. Then id died almost died again. whenever i was revving it, the light and the volt gauge were going back to normal, when i let go off the acceleration the engine seemed like it was dying, altough it kept on going. My dad says its not the battery since I can always start up my car after i get it jumped. Thats even today when i started it worked fine, no problems...i dont know what to do...What could be wrong? The alternator? Or a short circuit? ( <--im not sure if that how u say it in english ) i dont know what do with the car...I cant drive it for more than like 30-45 mins with my radio, heat and light on. Please Help me!

PS: sorry for this long story

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had a similar problem with my 89 PGT a couple weeks ago. My ABS light was flashing, the radio was acting wierd then I noticed my volt gauge was around 8-9 volts, then the car died. First check the connectors on the alternator and make sure there tight. Then check the belt to make sure its not slipping. If these check out its probably the alternator. It cost me about $80 for a rebuilt one and about 3 hours work. But the car works great now. Hope this helps you out.

Later
Frank

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HELP

ok, i got my alternator checked and thats not the problem....I checked it like the book said. With the engine off i used a voltmeter and the battery voltage was aprox. 12 volts. With the engine on it was about 14.25 volts. So according to the book , the alternator is NOT the problem...I dont know what else it could be....PLease HELP

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clean both battery terminals and where the ground cable bolts on to the chassis. sometimes carbon buildup can cause problems like you're having.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts