Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
AU XR6HP Owner
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
I'm from Australia and i was wondering what the best mustang was. i recently went to a mustang show and I'm a bit partial towards a 1969 Mach 1 Mustang with a 428 cobra jet engine that they had there. I don't really know much about the history of the mustang, i know more about the Ford Falcon that we have down under (see my site http://www.geocities.com/aussiefords/ for some pictures and specs of high powered Aussie Fords). Ford are releasing the Mustang Cobra down here after not having sold a mustang in australia since the mid 60's.

M

·
0 Posts
Welcome aboard falcon! That is a hard one, but I definately have some favorites. The 66 shelby is one wild and wooly beast!! The 67 shelby gt500 has some really great lines and power, I agree the 69-70 fastbacks are great! I like the inboard outboard headlights of the 69s, but perfer the 70 mach stripe package. I have a 67 coupe and a 70 fastback and you know what?? These cars are actually very different, but not comparable. The 70 is lower, sleeker, and likes high speeds better (351c 4bbl). My 67 is lighter, agiler, and less refined. All it has is power steering. But it also does not like high speed nearly as much!

·
cougar/bulletbird member
74 Posts
chad, chad, chad, you disappoint me! it is not hard to decide. the best mustang is mine of course! hawkrod (late model mustangs are like fat girls, lots of fun but you don't want your friends to see you with one!)

M

·
0 Posts
What mustang of yours are you talking about??? the 86?? I thought you said late models were like fat chicks??? I think you have so many cars you don't even know what you are driving, LOL! :s6: :s6: :s6: :s6:

·
Mod/Vintage Mustang Member
239 Posts
I prefer the 67-68's. Fastback and coupes. To me they are the best Mustangs. Now, that said, there are only a few Mustangs that I don't like, so I may be a little bit biased.:s6:

M

·
0 Posts
The only problem with the 68 model year was all the extra stuff that the government made them put on. The 67 was a much cleaner model!!

·
239 Posts
I agree the 67 was much cleaner. I also prefer some of the interior stylings of the 67 over the 68, mainly the steering wheel. I really don't like the 68 wheel.

·
Classic Mustang Member
92 Posts
s-code said:
I agree the 67 was much cleaner. I also prefer some of the interior stylings of the 67 over the 68, mainly the steering wheel. I really don't like the 68 wheel.
"Tsk, tsk, tsk." Oh I know I'll get beat up for what I'm about to say. But, at lease we can agree to disagree.

Ok, to start with, what's with that funky steering wheel in the 67. I mean you would prefer to stare at a pill than the sleek style of a nice horizontal padded steering wheel with the horn ring within thumbs reach? No, say it isn't so!

Let's move on to the seats in a 67. I have lawn chairs in the back yard that have a thicker back then the seats in a 67. To stealth for my taste. The 68 have thicker energy absorbing front seats backs.

mfp4073 said:
The only problem with the 68 model year was all the extra stuff that the government made them put on. The 67 was a much cleaner model!!
The 68 does indeed contain "extra stuff". Side markers for one, and if you were one of the fortunate ones, (which I'm not) the 68 would have a small sliver of post padding and dash padding. The front door armrests are longer & the door handles are hinged paddle types (sleek looking). Otherwise, from bumper to bumper almost the same....with some minor exceptions to the stencil lettering and the scoop (which would drive me nuts on wax day - it's bad enough that lettering is on my trunk lid and the 67 scoop, let's not go there).

As the Beach Boys once said: Be true to your Mustang (or was that school?).

·
239 Posts
ZoNiE said:

"Tsk, tsk, tsk." Oh I know I'll get beat up for what I'm about to say. But, at lease we can agree to disagree.

Ok, to start with, what's with that funky steering wheel in the 67. I mean you would prefer to stare at a pill than the sleek style of a nice horizontal padded steering wheel with the horn ring within thumbs reach? No, say it isn't so!

Let's move on to the seats in a 67. I have lawn chairs in the back yard that have a thicker back then the seats in a 67. To stealth for my taste. The 68 have thicker energy absorbing front seats backs.
LOL, actually the 67 steering wheel isn't much better, but the 68 looks like something out of a Chevelle. I personally like the 67 Shelby style woodgrain wheel. I can't argue much with the seat comfort, but then again mine are brand new, so they feel pretty comfy to me.

·
Classic Mustang Member
92 Posts
s-code said:

LOL, actually the 67 steering wheel isn't much better, but the 68 looks like something out of a Chevelle. I personally like the 67 Shelby style woodgrain wheel. I can't argue much with the seat comfort, but then again mine are brand new, so they feel pretty comfy to me.
A chevelle? Oh no you don't! Don't you compare any part of my Mustang to a....a..... chebbie! Yuck, phootie, ack, fooie. Excuse me while I'll go and wash my finger tips off! LOL.

Hey s-code, at lease I'm glad you took it, say, "tongue in cheek"!

·
239 Posts
I catch hell all day at work from my boss. He is a big Chevy guy, has a '71 Chevelle with a 502. I swear it's the same damn steering wheel in the 68 Mustang. :s2:

M

·
0 Posts
ZoNiE said:

The 68 does indeed contain "extra stuff". Side markers for one, and if you were one of the fortunate ones, (which I'm not) the 68 would have a small sliver of post padding and dash padding. The front door armrests are longer & the door handles are hinged paddle types (sleek looking). Otherwise, from bumper to bumper almost the same....with some minor exceptions to the stencil lettering and the scoop (which would drive me nuts on wax day - it's bad enough that lettering is on my trunk lid and the 67 scoop, let's not go there).

As the Beach Boys once said: Be true to your Mustang (or was that school?).

I don't know, I got window piller padding in mine. I was thinking of all the emission stuff and crap like that. The 67 1/4 scoops are by far the best!! I personally like the 67 steering wheel. (I do have 68 rims on my car though.)

·
Classic Mustang Member
92 Posts
mfp4073 said:

I don't know, I got window piller padding in mine. I was thinking of all the emission stuff and crap like that. The 67 1/4 scoops are by far the best!! I personally like the 67 steering wheel. (I do have 68 rims on my car though.)
Window piller padding in a 67? Son-of-a-gun! New one for me.

As far as "emission stuff" - nix on mine. I don't believe I have ever seen anything more than a recovery can in some, not all, concourse Mustangs. It's kinda like having an in-e or an out-e on the rear side marker. It's depends on where, and (or) when it was made to have the recovery can.

·
300+rwkw DC LTD Member
1,622 Posts
Does Shelby's count?

Elenor.

1967 Shelby GT 500

If not I'll have to go with the any of them from 1964 1/2 to 1973. Although I tent to lean toward either the 1969 or the 1970.

·
239 Posts
LTDHO said:
Does Shelby's count?

Elenor.

1967 Shelby GT 500

If not I'll have to go with the any of them from 1964 1/2 to 1973. Although I tent to lean toward either the 1969 or the 1970.

Of course they do. There were no stipulations made. Even though Eleanor was not a production Mustang, it certainly brought a lot of attention to the car.

M

·
0 Posts
I actually like the production shelby gt 500s better than the GISS car. Really didn't like the wheels much either. No harm done though. I thought the HID lights set into the headlight buckets was a pretty good idea!

·
Vintage Mustang GT Member
21 Posts
1966 K Code Rules

You all have it wrong: :noNO: and I must respectably disagree!
The best Mustang ever made is undoubtedly the 1966 K Code Fastback K. :1speaker: :hy:. It's mean. clean, lean and one heck of a impecable machine. :rockon: :s5

·
F-150 Member
141 Posts
I would have to go with the 1968 1/2 428 CJ. Now there was a car the was built for one purpose and one purpose only. Kick some GM butt at the drags. And they ruled!!!

Also, a 1965 GT 350. A real "blood and guts" car. Ready for competion.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts