Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
NA Fairlane 4.0i
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Fairlane has developed a pretty loud noise after a tune up in my mechanics' place. Whenever the car is steered left or left going straight at a speed over 25km/h, a loud whining noise (just like something metal rubbing against each other will appear continously, until to slow down the car or stop it. The noise was so loud that I couldn't stay driving at the driver seat for more than 15 minutes and every passengers can tell there is something wrong.

I've been to quite a few mechanics and they all have different answers, here we go. The mechanics who serviced told me that there was a leak in the high pressure hose and the P/S pressure switch is leaking and suggested me to get them replaced for the price of $300. I've also got to another mechanics, who believes that it the problem of the ball joint and will cost me at least $200 to get it done. The third mechanics told me that is the bearing at the bottom of the steering rack, but he did not give me a quote. The last one told me that it may be the wheel bearing or may be even the auto tranny, also without a quote.

So, I've got so much incoherent comments from various mechanics, who should I believe in? I've got a limited budget to spend, and cannot verify their correctness by trial and error. Anybody have similar cases before? I would like to see some comment from u guys. And is it something that can be fixed in a tiny budget (around $300)?

Your help is much appreciated.

·
now with EF power!
891 Posts
Wheel bearing possibly?

·
NA Fairlane 4.0i
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How to check if it's the bearing seized or not? Is it easy to replace or will it cost heaps to get someone do the job for me?

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
Its as easy as changing a tire.

Pull tire off, unbolt the brake caliper (2 bolts which face inward), pop bearing dust cap off with a small flat head screw driver, use pliers to pull the split pin out, pull the metal thingo out (forgrt its name but it stops the nut behind it rotating), take washer out, undo the nut, then pull rotor off. one bearing will come out with rotor and the other will stay with the stub axle. Reassembly is reverse the only point to remember to tighten the nut to about 30nm, back it off then retighten to 1.5nm. Use a new split pin.

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
But I guess the easy way to test is to lift tire and spin it by hand see if it feels smooth or not.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
What's involved in the service, i.e. what could the mechanic have disturbed/screwed up? :)
Must say I'd suggest wheel bearings though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts