Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 96 XR6 a week ago with 17" AJR wheels and the other day i attempted to fit the wheel brace (thing that unscrews the wheel nuts?) into the rims but it was too big for the hole. So now im stuck if i get a flat as the standard brace doesnt fit the the wheels. I then went to a tyre shop that said i needed a 21m socket, i was just wondering what kind of ratchet i would need to attach to the socket in order to turn the wheel nuts and unscrew them as i assums they would be on a fairly tight?? thanks

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
1/2 inch will be fine.... Use a breaker bar though

·
Registered
195 Posts
I AGREE with both the above but i would go the after market and make sure its metric there less chance damage to those nice wheels greg venomXR6

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
I'd get a 21mm spark plug socket - they are longer than standard sockets, and also have the advantage of fitting a standard wheel brace - no need for a breaker bar!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies guys and JC i think i'm going with your idea, when i got my car serviced the other day my mechanic also ordered me in a socket where one end fits into my standard wheel brace and the other onto the wheel nuts, so now i can still use my standard wheel brace!

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
That's all I ever use, but i actually use the 21mm socket and the L-shaped wheel brace (same as a breaker bar, i guess). If I'm at home, i loosen them with the brace etc, then use the cordless drill to remove them completely (lazy, but effective).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts