Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed nobody has post it. Wheel Car of the Year 2003 is the Mazda RX-8. It was NBN. I hope nobody else has posted it.

·
Ford Parts Interpretor
184 Posts
How many complaints do you think 9 will get for the little burn-out in the car park by the weatherman?

·
Kodak Moment
990 Posts
OK read this off LS1.com.au the top 4 finishers are:

Mazda RX8
Honda Accord Euro
Toyota Kluger
Toyota Prius

Great that Accord Euro finished 2nd.......I just bought one!! :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
ELLIOT said:
I noticed nobody has post it. Wheel Car of the Year 2003 is the Mazda RX-8. It was NBN. I hope nobody else has posted it.
It was posted in the Mazda "folder" or watever ya call it. ill remove it frm there. and good on it i say love the car absoulytly awsome car.

·
AUTS50 #012
1,001 Posts
A friend picked up his RX-8 2 days ago, went for a drive yesterday and, man what a car! beautiful black paint, red/black leather interior, 6spd gearbox..... can't wait, he's going to let me have a drive tomorrow, awesome car.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
yes for a rotary powered car this one is by far the best one,so far.
its not a ford but a RX8 does have the looks and squirt to get my vote.

·
Fully Sick Magna Driver
625 Posts
XXXR8 said:
he's going to let me have a drive tomorrow, awesome car.
Let us know how it goes. I remember reading one particular article (cant remember what one sorry) where the reviwer said that he found the car to be rather sluggish. Dunno whether it was just his car or what. All I can say is that I want one! Had a sit in one the other day and they're awesome.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
Probably would have been the auto – the ‘box can’t take the revs, so the motor is restricted and makes heaps less power ~140kW instead of 175 or whatever the manual has.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Saw it on Top Gear last week and it's all over the roads of Auckland, from what I read and see it seems like a bloody great car.

Good to see Wheels Mag' has got the COTY right two years in a row!

·
Registered
725 Posts
One question tho - why the hell did they have the award in November 2003 and now have it again in January 2004!? I thought it was a year in between... Wouldn't it be wiser to wait till November as they would have more new releases to have a crack at the title. I mean it was a pretty ordinary field i think. Not many interesting cars. Glad the RX-8 won it, nice car.

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
I have no doubt its a great car, but I dont really think a $70000 japanese sports car really belongs in the car of the year. I would rather it went to a falcon, commodore, magna or some sort of econobox. then it'd have some relivence to most people. But then again, i havnt driven one. it may be that good.

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
nope it's car of the year not Aussie car of the year or Econobox of the year.
The wheels jurno's think this is the best car and I agree with them.
I'd love an RX8 right price sports car thats within reach of the masses sort of like a MX5 was for the convertible fans.

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
i wouldnt really say its within reach of the masses, its double the price of a new BA. the MX-5 is $20000 cheaper.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
The RX8 is $56,000. How is that double the price of a BA.

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
I say congrats to Mazda. What a feat. Engine of the year last year and now this :) well done mazda, a worthy winner!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Correct, auto cann't take the rotary power. Ford owns 30% of Mazda. So, has a big say
in how Mazda runs. Imagine the Renesis engine in a Focus !!! or a Fiesta !!!
This engine has won numerous awards. I owned a Suzuki RE5 motorcycle and a great fan of the wankel engine. Turbine smooth power, instant acceleration. Might slurp the fuel, but put it in the context of a high powered sports car, it does okay.

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
BA GT-HO said:
One question tho - why the hell did they have the award in November 2003 and now have it again in January 2004!? I thought it was a year in between... Wouldn't it be wiser to wait till November as they would have more new releases to have a crack at the title. I mean it was a pretty ordinary field i think. Not many interesting cars. Glad the RX-8 won it, nice car.
There was no COTY in Nov 03. Maybe you're thinking Performance Car of the Year?

·
Editor on P Plates
2,482 Posts
casrms1450 said:
Ford owns 30% of Mazda.

I was under the impression that Ford now own 51% of Mazda, and have since the mid to late 90's when Mazda nearly went bankrupt.

Ford have had control of Mazda since they bought 28% - due to bizarre Japanese corporate law - but their stake is considerably higher now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts