Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whhels Mag thread 2

Just got my copy and it is a little better than I had hoped.
I love the conclusion to the XR V SS comp.
"FORD has ended the reign of the gen 3 engined SS as king of the affordable Australian V8 performance cars.
Deny it if you like. But that is your problem not mine"

There is an article from the perspective of an engine builder

Article on Dave Richards (prodrive)
Sounds like my kind of guy too:cool:

And a few little side articles!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also should mention an interesting shot by Hans Lehmann. I couldnt understand how he came across the Falcon untill I read it was taken at the Nurburgring:D

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
HSE2 said:
I couldnt understand how he came across the Falcon untill I read it was taken at the Nurburgring:D
Huh?? A Falcon at the ring?? What the? :confused:
What was it doing there? Anyone!.. Someone!..

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Spy pic of AU I think, by the look of it... so quite old. Purpose? Who knows? Top speed testing? Hehe.. wonder what lap time it got.. :D

T

·
0 Posts
assuming you guys have read the wheels mag, I have'nt yet. Can anyone post the diff ratios for the XR and the SS. I want to try an experiment.

if the SS beats the XR by a poofteenth of a second, assuming the XR runs the 3.45:1 diff ratio. Then it is quite possible, that if the XR ran the same ratio as the SS it would kick it's arse back to kingdom cum. Dont the SS's run around 3.80:1 or something.

T

·
0 Posts
There you go, theres your poofteenth of a second. Now give the XR the same ratio and see what happens.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also and article on the RS FOCUS. I like I LIKE VERY MUCH.

In the hands of Francois Delecour and looks a treat

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
HSE2 said:
Also and article on the RS FOCUS. I like I LIKE VERY MUCH.

In the hands of Francois Delecour and looks a treat
Yeah not wrong!! Couldn't believe he trashed that set of tyres in under 25km!! :eek: :eek: Damn, the man can drive!!

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
HSE2 said:
I think the XR8 would have to make way for one of those babies:cool:
Hehe.. never!! Have both man.. You drive the XR8 for club days and such and the Focus RS as a "daily driver" to conserve on fuel bills ;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
I reckon that the RS Focus would take a big chunk out of 200SX sales and possibly kill off the WRX alltogether.

BTW the falcon at the Nurburgring is an AV dresssed in AU clothes. VERY interesting

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also something interesting I read last night. Tickford plan to "sell the stroker kit" after the new model arrives in 12 months
I assume this is aftermarket.

·
Evil Holden Overlord
920 Posts
OK - going on past figures, the SS has been good for 14.1/14.2 quarters - Motor, real people @ strips. Assuming the XR8 has another 0.3 in it over the 14.8 Wheels got (right driver/right day), that still leaves an almost 1/2 second deficit. I honestly doubt you could make that up with a 0.01 change in the diff ratio ... In fact, the LS1 boys have been dropping in the 3.91 gears for a while now, and while they seem to be the goods in in gear speed, we haven't seen a huge decrease in 1/4 mile times. A good exhaust/intake/MAF combo is giving the clearest benefits for the LS1 cars.

The other thing to take out of that test is to take a quick look at the in-gear times. The LS1 topped the Windsor in every bracket - closest being 0.1 sec (100-130 in 5th), largest being 1.8 sec (60-90 in 5th) ...

·
Australian Ford Member
252 Posts
el2xr8 said:
Spy pic of AU I think, by the look of it... so quite old. Purpose? Who knows? Top speed testing? Hehe.. wonder what lap time it got.. :D
It's an AUII by the number plate surround and rear lights
At the 'Ring.... um, different wheels.... and that exhaust doesn't look 'production'. Maybe it's the AWD GT proto...;)

T

·
0 Posts
Hobbes said:
OK - going on past figures, the SS has been good for 14.1/14.2 quarters - Motor, real people @ strips. Assuming the XR8 has another 0.3 in it over the 14.8 Wheels got (right driver/right day), that still leaves an almost 1/2 second deficit. I honestly doubt you could make that up with a 0.01 change in the diff ratio ... In fact, the LS1 boys have been dropping in the 3.91 gears for a while now, and while they seem to be the goods in in gear speed, we haven't seen a huge decrease in 1/4 mile times. A good exhaust/intake/MAF combo is giving the clearest benefits for the LS1 cars.

The other thing to take out of that test is to take a quick look at the in-gear times. The LS1 topped the Windsor in every bracket - closest being 0.1 sec (100-130 in 5th), largest being 1.8 sec (60-90 in 5th) ...
just a qestion for you, whats the difference in weight between the 2 cars. I only ask because I dont know and dont the info in front of me.
14.1 and 14.2 is still good in my books, regardless of what car is faster. I like comfort and style as well.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hobbes said:

Keep hanging in there Hobbes. Your days are numbered.

You had better show me these mag times of 14.1. I read just about everything and I vcan honestly say i have never seen these times. That doesn't say that you are wrong I just can't recall the SS ever being that fast.
Anyway you know as well as I that you can't cross ref testing times.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts