Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe that the new Wheels mag is due out today. Has anyone read it and how does the turbo go on the Autobarns??

·
SBR Supporter
1,926 Posts
Wheels are starting to slack off. I used to be able to pick it up as early as 7:00am from my local Newsagency the day its supposed to come out. Its 19th Feb today, it was supposed to be here yesterday, but they're saying I might wait until tommorow... grr

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm more interested in the results of the five local car comparo (Falc, Commo, Camry, Avalon and Magna) - last month's magazine says "...we compare the Big Five local six-cylinder sedans and come away quietly surprised at the results."

In my mind, this means the Avalon won, given its reputation for refinement (if not style, grunt or appeal). Please tell me I'm wrong!!

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
No, if the Avalon won it would be more than "quietly surprised", they'd be running the comparo again to check the results! LOL

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
Just got my copy when I arrived home. In a nutshell, not a decisive winner but it came down to Commodore and Falcon. Acclaim by a slim margin over Futura due to being superior in the way it steers, stops, rides and handles.

·
Only a V8 Ute Will Do
203 Posts
I rang them today to find out what is going on, and they said that it has been delayed until the 25th? They didn't say what the problem is though?

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
Sorry I have to correct myself. All 5 cars were given a rating out of 5 stars. They are:

Futura- 4 stars
Acclaim- 3 1/2
Magna- 3
Avalon- 3
Camry- 2

Wheels apear to be confused which is the better car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
RATT said:
Acclaim by a slim margin over Futura due to being superior in the way it steers, stops, rides and handles.
SAY WHAT? What was it, an ex-taxi ED Futura???

·
My Neck Hurts....
501 Posts
Stars gives win to Futura.

Comment gives win to Commodore. Which I guess is their way of saying they wanted the Commodore to win but couldn't get the numbers to work.

XR6T in Europe article is in there too. Boy am I look forward to that!

I saw the Mag on a shelf at the servo on the way through Buladelah this afternoon. Have to wait til Saturday until I can buy i though.

Lukeyso

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Can't believe nobody has mentioned the XR6T in Europe article! Great read and something that I have personally been pushing (on here at least) for YEARS.... Fantastic to see it finally happen!

Got a very warm reception too from the foreign press and public (except the French who don't give a toss about anything but their supply of french sticks, coffee, and cheese..)

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
Mr Sparkle said:
(except the French who don't give a toss about anything but their supply of french sticks, coffee, and cheese..)

hey,hey.....I give a toss!!!!
Cheers,
Colville :angel:

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
Yep Good Artical enfact the entire thing is a Ford bonanza go buy it!

They took the BA turbo to Europe and then to the US as well.
The entire magazine was basically an Advert asking Ford to get their arse in to gear and get the BA in to the international markets.

The next falcon should be engineered for Right hand drive.
They just have to get this thing over in the US.

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
Luke Plaizier said:
Comment gives win to Commodore. Which I guess is their way of saying they wanted the Commodore to win but couldn't get the numbers to work.
haha so true.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The XR6 Turbo in europe thing was very interesting and a little disapointing. Phantom does look dark in the pictures, blueprint or venom or something might have been a better choice..

Oil leaks from the turbo? Incorrect washer fitted? Jesus, thought they would have given the car a quick look over before it was posted off.. The time spent in S.A I guess is that they are assessing it for sale in S.A as well..

I think the feedback was positive.. A few changes would need to be made if they ever wanted to sell them over there. Firmer suspension (OZ should have that as a option), 18" standard, diffrent tyres, 250 limiter etc etc.. Should be part of a Euro spec package.. Make 100 of them, ship 40 to europe, keep 60 here to sell as specials.

·
Resident geek freak
935 Posts
I read teh comparo, I thought the text as well as the "stars" gave it to falcon.
Surprise to me was that this is the first time Ive seen anyone say the commy steers/handles etc better then a BA tho.

Also the Falcon and Commy had identical fuel usage figures too.
All very strange.

Glad I got the Sports suspension on mine now :)

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
carazy said:
The next falcon should be engineered for Right hand drive.
I bloody well hope so! Be nice if it was engineered for left hand drive as well!

As mentioned (including in the article) the XR6T should have been in blueprint or even better blood orange to make it stand out more! The car in the US was blueprint. The main theme I got from the European testers was that the suspension, particularly dampers, needed to be firmer as that is what they expect from large powerful cars. Good example of the differences here in Oz, where the XR6T is not a hard-core sporting car (cue Typhoon, hopefully) and also more compliance is needed for road blemishes.

Phido – return of the European Sports Pack?

RE the 5-way comparo verdict, I clearly need to have another read of it, but I thought they said the Futura by a slim margin over the Acclaim. I also thought it was interesting that the Futura and Acclaim had the same fuel consumption figures on the test, but there was no mention of it. One of the fwd trio also had worse consumption.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just looking at the fuel economy bit..
Falcon 11.7
Commodore 11.7
Magna 11.2
Avalon 11.9!
Camry 11.6!

And the falcon has a huge performance lead over everyone else. 0-100 in 8.0 flat and 15.7 @147 Kmph with a 4 speed and a 3.23 diff.. Camry slowest with a 9.3 100 dash and the avalon took 16.7 to cover the 400 m.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts