Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am not trying to be a stick in the mud here so here me out.

With technology being, well, technology, things become old very quickly. With modern cars now coming with 7 speed gearbox’s and over 1000Nm of torque and quad-turbos...how far can we go?

I love a good fang in a hi-po muscle car has much as the next bloke but seriously when will it stop? Can someone honestly say that a road car really needs 8 gears???

Super cars on the other hand is another storey, let them go crazy I say, its a way for brands to show there skill and achievement.

But whats next? Obviously alternative power is a high priority, as well as maybe weight reduction. Which of course is going to be good for us in the long run but at what cost?

Are electronic gizmos with numerous abbreviations going to ruin driving for us?

Just wondering what everyone’s opinion on this is. I’m not being a pessimistic bugger, just wondering what the future holds for us enthusiasts.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I agree, i think some of these things coming out lately are way over the top for your average driven and not really practicle. As for alternative power, i heard a conspiracy theory once... Apparently every time someone comes up with an alternative energy source to fossil fuels the big petroleoum companies buy it out in order to "research" it. Then of course this research proves that it simply isnt viable. sounds dodgy to me...

/me Looks over shoulder, "I thought i heard someone"

·
AUTS50 #012
1,001 Posts
BlueAU said:
As for alternative power, i heard a conspiracy theory once... Apparently every time someone comes up with an alternative energy source to fossil fuels the big petroleoum companies buy it out in order to "research" it. Then of course this research proves that it simply isnt viable. sounds dodgy to me...

Have heard/read same. There was one on Ethanol a while back.

·
Rollcage Crash Test Dummy
552 Posts
ditto,
ive heard ideas like magnetic propulsion systems,

and the moller skycar

www.moller.com/skycar

check it out...its ROTOR powered :-D

·
AUPS Member
658 Posts
The cars are getting extremely powerful also, Something that the car makers arnt thinking off is that one day young drivers will be driving these powerful cars also!!! kids are already killing themeselves in vn's and there little jap cars. Whats gonna happen in say 10 years when they start driving BA XR8's or VY SS's????

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The petrol/electric car is already on the market in Australia

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
XWGT said:
The petrol/electric car is already on the market in Australia
yeah but that technology is pretty old hat now....did you see the news last night?

The Japanese Hydrogen/solar powered car. Apparently it went across Australia on $5 of Hydrogen.

While I doubt we will see hybrid cars make any great in roads soon, I was more talking about the huge power and over geared cars.

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
thats pretty cheap at least, will be a long time before that stuff really takes off

But back to your point, no there is no real need for hugley powered multiple geared cars here... 6 speeds is enough, dont really need more then that

450kw 1200nm(detuned to 1000nm) 5sp auto Merc CL65... nice ;)

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
BlueAU said:
Apparently every time someone comes up with an alternative energy source to fossil fuels the big petroleoum companies buy it out in order to "research" it. Then of course this research proves that it simply isnt viable. sounds dodgy to me...

I've also heard the same thing a few years ago. Apparently there are already a few alternate power sources that are very reliable but are bought out by the big petroleum companies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts