Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
blue blooded ford fan
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the subject says it all. How many of you guys see on the roads young p'platers or under 25 drivers driving a falcon compared to a commodore??
Personally i beleive it was one decision, a one decision alone.
THE END OF V8 PRODUCTION AS OF 1982, and the resumption only in 1992.
Sure the results of hrt may have played a little role, but in the scheme of things, it didnt really.
Young guys and girls were seeing all these unreal VL TURBO's and THE HSV CARS with worked v8's and nice looking bodykits. What did ford have to show in the mid to late 80's?? NOTHING.
The lull ford is feeling now has been bought on by them self. Maybe a few show cars here and there will help claw their way back to the top (i can only hope it does), but seriously Ford, FTE, and all concerned with ford australia seriously needs to take a look at young buyers for the future. Sure they may not be buying a brand spankin XR8 or FTE car, but if they see a good looking EF they can afford, and fall in love with ford, then surely it will influence their buying decision in the future.

Just my thoughts.
-Paul "broomy" Broomfield

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Young guys and girls were seeing all these unreal VL TURBO's and THE HSV CARS with worked v8's and nice looking bodykits

You had me till this line. Not possible;) :p

·
blue blooded ford fan
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you know what i mean. impresionable young minds with no sence saw nice looking cars going very fast. They say, if they can make a new one go that fast, im sure they can make an old ****ter go that fast.
Or they think that buying an old crapodore means that some of the speed from the new cars reflects on the performance of the new one.
-broomy

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Broomy i know where your getting at in the sense of the crowd choosing holden. Hell half of them just follow they're mates and their mates follow their mates, it's a game of sheep thats what it is. Mate in my area everyman and his dog drives a holden.

Well one thing i can vouch i's got an EF and it's a beautiful car, trust me on that one, i'd take it over a VR anyday. i've driven both as well.:cool: :cool: :cool:

But as for the main stream buying ford we'll have to wait a while i think.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean.
It can be best explained by the following
"Sheep- No brain and happy with out one":D

·
blue blooded ford fan
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats what i mean. we will have to wait a while.
But cars like the xplosive xr are well on the way to making that a shorter time.
Ford needs to make sure that all performance cars, such as those at the motor show, also make an appearance at shows like autosalon, to show off what a little work can do to make a stock falcon look great.
-broomy

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Broomy said:
thats what i mean. we will have to wait a while.
But cars like the xplosive xr are well on the way to making that a shorter time.
Ford needs to make sure that all performance cars, such as those at the motor show, also make an appearance at shows like autosalon, to show off what a little work can do to make a stock falcon look great.
-broomy
I agree. I however was disappointed with some of the suppliers that worked on the Xplode show car. I travelled to the MMS to see cars like this with a view to have some of what I had seen applied to my car. The hand out on the Xplode was out of date and when some of the supply people were contacted by myself some didn't even bother to reply. Guess business must be so good they don't need my money eh:(

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
gtho4 said:

Have to agree with you on that one.... Dunnydores shape hasn't changed much since the VN .....it's getting a bit boring now.
Now there is a true statement. I will admit that some of the HSVs look good but the base car just looks so old I can't believe they still sell in the numbers they do.

Only one point you agree with me on? Guess I will have to try harded:cool:

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Broomy, your dead set right. It was the lack of performance fords in the era of the VL Turbo. Look around now and see how many of those things there are..

Slowly but surely Ford are returning, and in a big way I reckon. I really don't think it will take much too recover though, Tickford have good street cred I think, and as long as ford offer the package most people want, they will sell them in droves. The AUII XR's are great looking cars, and seem to be liked by holden fellas aswell, but its not the XR's that will save them although they probably play the most important role, make them inspirational, make people really WANT the XR's and T-series.....offer the right base model packages......and then see people step up into the XR's and T's....

·
blue blooded ford fan
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
all you have to do is look at how long the gap was between the special vehicles at ford. The last was the ESP in 83 and then eventually came the XR series in the early 90's. I have no doubt that if ford had continued to make bent 8's that i would have only ever had one car, either an XF or EA falcon with an 8 in my driveway.
Young performance car lovin drivers dont as a rule generally give a fat rats clacker about how quite or how comfortable the car is. All they want is performance on a budget, and at that time holden was the only manufacturer delivering the goods. Now all those p'platers from that era have gone on to become the VT and VX drivers of today. Sad but true.
-broomy

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I also don't think you can underestimate the impact of how well the VT/VX models have on the younger market now. Forgetting for a moment that Ford dropped out of the performance game. It is cool to own a late model Holden these days so it is natural that young people will buy a product that they can afford with the same badge on the front as what is cool to buy off the show room floor today.

·
blue blooded ford fan
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sure hardcore ford fans wouldnt stray, but they do not make up the majority of the buying public.
The younger buyers nowadays can buy a stock commodore (like a VR) for about 10,000, and then put a body kits on it for another 1000, and have their very own HSV.
If ford designed a bodykit like that of the EBGT and actualy made that an accesable option on ALL of the EB-ED falcons/fairmonts then maybe we would see a hell of a lot more clone GT cars driving around, rather than clone HSV's.
-broomy

·
blue blooded ford fan
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and also, look up the FOR SALE page of the link im about to post. the first car there is the actual car im buying out of the insurance money. Ill be picking it up with a few tweaks in a couple of weeks.
http://www.selectmaz.com.au/main_frame.htm
i aint payin no 6950 thou. It imacc and im getting it bridgeported with a dual exhaust system, plus no cats coz its straight gas. ill give ya a wave when im flyin past u. it'll be good for high 12sec passes.
:wink2: :gok:
-broomy

·
blue blooded ford fan
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hahaha. fartbox. U've been to the drags, u oughta no what a v8 with no exhaust sounds like!
-broomy

·
blue blooded ford fan
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha. prick. well u bring it on. u name the place, and ill beat u in a race!!
holly toledo batman, that rhymes!!!!
:eek: :wink2:
-broomy

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Case in point of buyer behaviour. My list of cars (omitting a few):

XC Fmont GXL 302 4 speed
XE ESP 302 4 speed
XF Fmont Ghia EFI

My flatmate bought a VK Calais 5.0 and I drove it so....

VK HDT Director 304 4 speed (lost my licence with this one :fmad: )
XE 250 EFI 4 speed (realising EFI was not a V8 this was for four months)
KF Laser TX3 4WD (after succumbing to the nice sales lady - it was a four so I sold after 11 months...)
EF XR8 5 speed (due to waiting lists I sold for more than I paid after three months :thumbup: )
VL HDT Turbo 5 speed (my money pit - but the fastest car I have ever owned by far :evil2: )
VP ClubSport 5 speed (build no. 001!)
VS GTS-R

BASICALLY, I tried to stay Ford but the product wasn't there. The EF was a slug, the TX3 was nice but didn't have the effortless performance of an 8, and don't talk to me about the OHV EFI sixes that Ford brought out. They chewed fuel and didn't go that hard.

·
blue blooded ford fan
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, i too know how ****ty those OHC EFI cars were. I had a 1988 EA Falcon. That thing was thirsty as all hell and i dont remember spining the wheels once in the dry.
I then moved onto a 1982 Mazda RX7 (telling myself it wasnt too bad coz ford did own mazda :) ) but after no satisfaction from a totaly stock (and i mean stock, it had the original polution gear on it and everything) i sold it and brought a VL Calais Turbo. I had that car for 3 weeks before it was stolen, but i dont think ive ever had so much fun in a car. Driving down a wet road when the boost comes on is a heap of fun :)
Now im getting another rotor just because there are no efi v8's for me to buy from ford between the years of 84-92. I still have no doubt that i would have only ever, and still would own one car if the v8 was available on those models.
-broomy

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Broomy said:
Well, i too know how ****ty those OHC EFI cars were. I had a 1988 EA Falcon. That thing was thirsty as all hell and i dont remember spining the wheels once in the dry.
Umm, I think I said OHV. OHCs aren't too bad if you maintain them and they have MPI. TBIs were an absolute joke - especially with the three speed auto.

·
blue blooded ford fan
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry i didnt read it properly dude. yeah, i had the tbi with a 3speeda.
-broomy

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
11 Participants
Donut King
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing