Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The announcement of GPs new role in Ford EU and the appointment of Tom Gorman to the AU role got me to thinking about how and where Australia ranks in the Ford empire. GP has moved on to a Sales VP role while Tom Gorman has come from a Division Sales one.

First let us have a brief look at the Ford hierachy to get a picture of the overall position.

At the top we have the Chairman and Vice Chairman.
Below this we have 7 Group Vice Presidents (Global Bus. Dev.; Product Dev; Purchasing; Marketing, Sales & Service; Manufacturing, Asia Pacific, Chief of Staff).
Next in line are the 40 Vice Presidents, including Asia Pacific and then each country has a separate structure of its own.
There are some crossovers because of the divisional structure so it isn't as straightforward as the picture above but that is close enough for these puposes.

In sales terms the picture is thus: (2003 where available)

Ford produced about 6.7 million vehicles last year of which Australia contributed 100,000 in round figures or about 1.49%. By comparison the F-Series truck sold 845,000 units in the same year and the Focus build numbers were 330,000 in Europe alone.
Ford North America dominates with about three times the sales of Europe, while Australia barely registers on the scale although it did at least contribute disproportionately to profit last year.

Cheers
Russ

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
Im not fussed about a yank running the joint, I hope that GP can come back if the seppo starts to stuff up. Thats my 2bobs worth....

·
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane
3,293 Posts
so long as 'they' dont try to bring in front wheel drive on family cars etc. keep it aussie as far as design goes.

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
I don't mind if 'they' bring in fwd - just as long as they keep the rwd part of it too! AWD is nothing to be sneezed at.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leaving out US production so that the chart isn't meaningless here are some numbers from 1997 in graphical form:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... but if we include all North American production it looks more like this ...

Attachments

·
Black 200kw wheel barrow
3,554 Posts
whats the saying, quality not quantity?

i think the actual cars we make (falcon) are regarded pretty highly by ford arent they?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
i dont like fwd cars so keep em rwd,and im happy,but yeah our sales would be non relevent really..1.49% is like a slight bump not even noticable.. but yeah its something at least..

·
Registered
765 Posts
Certainly puts the global position of Ford Australia into perspective, just out of interest Russ you wouldn't happen to have some profit figures for the varying countries you could compare. It would be interesting to see how volume equates to profits.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Russell,
Are you including Fords other companies such as Mazda, Jaguar, Lincoln or any other Ford owned car manufacturers?

I'm just wondering if you did a comparison between car sales and countries populations whether your graph would look much different?
Eg, 100,000 Fords in Australia out of 20 million people, compared to about 3.9 million(rough guess from your graph) out of ~300 million Americans.
I think that might be more important to the total sales count then pure numbers.

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
i think Ford world wide made $76 profit per car last year, i dont know what profit Ford Australia made per car...surely $76 isn't good enough....

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ninety_sixer said:
Russell,
Are you including Fords other companies such as Mazda, Jaguar, Lincoln or any other Ford owned car manufacturers?
Lincoln is included but not Jaguar, Mazda or others.

Cheers
Russ

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts
Eeek. Portugal sell more cars than us!

Thanks for the Data Russ.

·
Team Galaxy Try Hard
550 Posts
XRFPV8 said:
i think Ford world wide made $76 profit per car last year, i dont know what profit Ford Australia made per car...surely $76 isn't good enough....
It thats pure profit after wages, advertising, factory running costs, etc etc. thats not too bad (I guess).

I assume how they came to that number was to take the companys profit for the year and divide it by how many cars it made that year.
Probably not to accurate.

·
Territory TS - AWD
2,374 Posts
russellw said:
....got me to thinking about how and where Australia ranks in the Ford empire...

Cheers
Russ
You think too much Russell :zzz:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
No doubt about you Russ,the figures and graphs you provide to us makes some interesting reading like always.
Cheers John

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As requested above here is a look at the Mean production rates based on the 1998 World Census (close enough for these purposes).

The higher the figure the better the result. Aus is about mid pack

Cheers
Russ

Attachments

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
XRFPV8 said:
Look at the third world countries on the list, I'm guessing they drag the profit margin down heaps.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Certainly is a big turn around for the countries, a lot of the lower producing countries have a higher percentage per population. Interesting figures.

The other thing to your actual question Russ, is how many other countries have a strong influence on Ford worldwide in terms of production and new cars? I'd imagine that not a lot of other countries produce individual models such as Aus does totally independent of Ford worldwide. Eg, Ford US i'd imagine would supply both North America and South America, whereas Ford Aus supply Aus, NZ, and i believe they export a few to South Africa?
$500 million to do BA and another $500 million to produce Territory is a fair whack of money in anyone's standards, so i think we are more important than just sales.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Probably useless info(it's late at night) but I know Ford is the number 1 selling make in U.S, U.K and Turkey

1 - 20 of 25 Posts