Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vintage Mustang Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The earliest Mustangs featured the 260 V-8. Although a carry-over from the Fairlane and the Falcon, this little engine has a devoted following. I've own one for many years and it is a scrappy little performer! I love it when people tell me that the Mustang started with a 289! Carrol Shelby used these engines as did the Roots Group (UK) in the Sunbeam Tiger.

·
Mod/Vintage Mustang Member
239 Posts
Hey Dave, how's support for the 260? Never had one myself, so I've never needed to get parts for one. How is it to find parts?

·
F-150 Member
141 Posts
Last time I tried to get parts...well it was next to impossible. Also, the 260 has a 5 bolt bellhousing.

What about the 221 V-8??? That was before the 260 too.

·
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez
681 Posts
Gearhead99 said:
Last time I tried to get parts...well it was next to impossible. Also, the 260 has a 5 bolt bellhousing.

What about the 221 V-8??? That was before the 260 too.
ooo, i'm glad i didn't have to mention that! good job. :thup:

parts for the 221/260 are a little hard to come by only because the engines have been obsolete for so many years. unlike the 289/302/351w, not many cars past 1964 used them.

·
Vintage Mustang Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I first saw my 260 convertible over thirty years ago, the PO had the cylinder heads off and being re-done. Since he wasn't a real sharp mechanic, I made the deal for the car as is, where is. I got the heads back and assembled the engine only to find that it had a bad spark plug wire which caused a miss. Seems the PO mistook this for a bad valve and had torn into the engine without a compression check. The car presently has 108K miles and runs very well. I don't anticipate any need for parts as the car will likely outlive me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts