Ford Forums banner

21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Jim Mock You Rock
1,766 Posts
XR8GN3 said:
Forget the chips......as we all know the biggest problem with the E series V8s
especially are the E7 heads, you would be lucky to pull 150rwkw,
and this wouldnt be much better then a 14.8 down the quarter.

The chips will not bring the performance where all after....at the most it will
give our cars better throttle response, be a lot smoother but wont add up to
much at the drags and lets face it, the chips arnt going to do what
LS1edit has done for the commodore boyz. We just dont have a good
starting base to work with.
!

I personally would not sneeze at the gains with the unichip in the instance I have mentioned. 24 rwks equates to money well spent in anyones language..especially for just the chip.The Au xr8 has the same engine doesnt it?

·
Registered
158 Posts
!Gn|T|0n said:
I'm very interested in the pass that EL1XR8 achieved too! I'll give you an exhaustive list of what I'd done to scrape a 14.8 in an attempt to help out. Since these mods I’ve done MAF, TB, Manifold and injectors but only pulled low 14.8's so I'll leave that out for now because there's something limiting the potential of those mods and hence it's not a good indication.

EL GT snorkel

Custom CAI http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=57996

1.7:1 FMS roller rockers http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=60312

BPT "Stage 1" Single pulley underdrive kit (with shorter belt) and smaller AU alternator pulley

Pacemaker extractors

2 1/2" mandrel bent exhaust system with standard Y-piece and a single offset-centre Lukey straight through muffler

I have a stock 3.45:1 diff and the stock BTR97LE auto with factory tow kit cooler.

= 14.89

The EL GT snorkel I dont have

Custom CAI I have the exact same setup

No rockers for me.

The pulley I dont have but plan to get really soon, Im hoping this will put me into the high 14s along with the 70mm MAF I put in recently.

I do have pacemakers, is yours TRI-Y or 4 into 1?

I have similar exhaust setup.

I have stock auto, but with a shift kit and the standard 3.45:1 diff.

Id say the pulleys and roller rockers are what pushed you into the 14s.

The differences between our cars are minimal and shows what be can be done without fiddling with the engine to much if any. This should give a good indication to other 5.0L windsor owners what mods they can do to increase power, and what ETs to expect down the quarter.

Thanks Ignition for the feedback....now maybe EL1XR8 can enlighten us on how he managed a 13.95.

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
Well I'm extreamly happy with the power my 5ltr has with just zort's,CIA and Unichip, the vehicle has changed dramatically, it's a new vehicle and it love's to rev once past 3000rpm, I'm not to concerned about rwkw because if I said what the dyno printout read, it doesn't seem much but in saying that it still perform's great and has taken on a few LS1's in it's time with propossed more rwkw than I have, go fiqure.

·
Registered
158 Posts
useless said:
The Au xr8 has the same engine doesnt it?

It does, but a lot of minor improvements which all adds up.

eg. Coil packs and Crank Angle sensor rather then a distrubutor for the ignition
this gives more accurate timing and stronger spark then just the one coil
Underdiven pulleys compared to E series V8s reduced size in all the accsessory
mounting brackets and so reducing weight.

Explorer manifold Std on all AUs....not so for EB to series 1 EL

No EGR I think or relocated.

GT40P heads and bigger injectors were std on AUIII XRs not sure for std AU - AUIII series V8.

70mm MAF std on all AU V8s, this also equates to a recalibrated ECU.

The list goes on......

·
Registered
46 Posts
I found an old article on the EFXR8 (Motor Mag) Their times for a manual EFXR8 is 0-100 in 7.6 and 1/4 mile in 15.6. Most of us would therefore be very happy with the mods we have done and the times we have run. This time is for a bog standard factory car 170kW, so if we use this time as a guide, then most of us can say that we have made some progress with our e-series windsors. Sorry guys i cant find any times for an auto.

For comparision, the ELGT (manual), also from an old Motor mag got 0-100 in 7 secs and 1/4 mile in 14.9, however this car was heavier than an XR8 due to the luxury items it has onboard. As we all know this car has 200kW, and has the 3.45 diff in stead of the 3.23 on the EFXR8.

It gives a relative guide as to how power increases and a diff ratio might change performance. Its a shame they werent the same weight!

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
From ED on the XR's had 3.45 f.drive ratio...

·
Registered
46 Posts
No the ef, ef2 and el xr8 manuals had the 3.23 diff ratio. It wasnt until the last of the EL's that had the 3.45. Not sure about the autos.

Check this out...

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
My setup is in my sig. If i wanted more without adding boost a good set of alloys with a suitable (choose longer runners in 5.0) intake would be the go for sure. This would have me looking at near or above the 200rwkw mark. On an e series cam, heads and intake (T/B to match) would be of MAJOR benefit. Heads and Intake first if doing it in stages. IMO!!! That is after the standard MAF, filter and exhaust.

·
Registered
158 Posts
AU2XLSV8

Have you run your car at the drags?

·
need BOOST
272 Posts
xpc66 said:
How does it do that?
from what I can tell, it is mostly achieved by retarding the ignition timing....in some cases it looks the the injector pulsewidth and/or commanded AFR are also changed.

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
Stevo said:
my power is in my windows, and my arial.

wont be this way for ever tho :) :hehe:
LMAO stevo, same with me at this point though :fraz:

oh wait, my aerial doesnt work .............

·
XR8 Owner
545 Posts
it's not hard to make the power, just need a good combination...

i've got a 2030, 1.6 rr, my e7's have bigger valves and have been ported, edelbrock manifold, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF

i did a 15.73 on bald tyres with the gtech i just borrowed, u forget sometimes how hard it is to launch a manual

·
Registered
670 Posts
Sadly no drags for me yet! One of those things on the to do list that hasn't. I'd guestimate mid 14's at this point. She is in need of a tune and a service now though so she may not be all of the 174rwkw.

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
i'd imagine mid to low 14's for your car, karls (NZ) car - EB Ghia 5 litre 5 speed has 141rwkw, though hes just ditched the clutch fan and fitted thermo's so that woulda freed up a few more, and he ran a [email protected] on sunday

21 - 40 of 113 Posts