Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am really looking at finding a cortina in the near future. I have a 250 Xflow which has been built for 300 ponies which i was planing on putting in my ute. I am seriously cosidering finding a corty to put it in. What i would like to know is what model would be best suited (Diff ratios, gearbox, etc. I really like the look of the tc or td with the twin headlights and 6 cylnder bonnet..

Any info on what year models would be suited would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

I

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Just but one with a 6 already and off you go, and stick with the TC/TD idea I love the rounded shape, single headlights are better, you can use the spare space for CAI setup.

Jason

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Well you can just re-wire the lights of any model, but I had a 73 corty 4cly 2L though, single lights. geez i miss that car was a real rocket.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dellboy999 said:
Well you can just re-wire the lights of any model, but I had a 73 corty 4cly 2L though, single lights. geez i miss that car was a real rocket.
Are there any difference between the diffs / Gearboxes in the 4's and 6's ?

Cheers

Simon

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
What about a TE cortina - I have seen a sports version that I nearly bought a few years ago. 250, 4sp, scheel seats, build number on glove box, rubber boot spoiler (like the RS2000), black door trims, full instrumentation, alloy wheels, stripes/cortina decals....
Don't know much more about them but I have seen red version and a pale orange version. Would be interested if anyone out there knows a bit more about them...

If you want the rectangular lights in the TC/D shape, thats the XLE TD grille. The TC XLE had twin lights, and the base models of both just had the single round lights...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I would prefer a TC or td, as i like the shape and there arnt as many around. Thanx for the info.

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
15 Posts
Simon,
The Tc model has different gear boxes for 4 & 6 cyl models. There was also even a 3 speed manual (floor shift) for the 6 cyl. Mated with the 250ci it made for lazy driving.
The gear boxes will all have different ratio's as there was a 1600cc & 2000cc models in the 4 cyl range.
The T bar auto transmission was a BorgWarner 35 3 speeder- I think they were same for both 4cyl & 6cyl- if you know an easy fix for one that will only proceed in reverse let me know-!

The 4cyl & 6 cyl diffs had different capacities so are probably different as well. The 200ci 6cyl had a 2.92 ratio and the 250ci a 2.77.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers,

thanx for that i will be looking for the 6 cyl model. Its just a matter of finding a decent one up here as there isnt to many around.

simon

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
4 and 6 six diff is same only 3:45 ratio on 4 cyl...Australian versions ....
Some latter models had power steering..

·
Registered
354 Posts
the diff in a 4 cylinder is completely different to the 6 cylinder. the 4 cylinder has a bolt on flange and the 6 uses the old two u'bolt system to hold the tailshaft to it. some fo the 4's also had a two piece tailshaft which was a bugger. they had heaps of different ratios.

depending on who u ask, different mdoels had different headlights. according to a few cortina manuals i have only the tc xle had twin headlights, both tc and td had the single round headlight and the td also had rectangle headlight. there sint too much drama changing the front to whichever headlight setup u want although locating the twin headlight setup is starting to prove rare.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Simon,

Darren had a green TD 4 cyl in Currajong and I sold him my white 250 TE Ghia iron head with the dual hump sump to fit but the TD crossmember had to be changed.
Apparently 4 cyl and 6 cyl are different. Chasis/engine mounts were different.
He ended up selling the TD giving me back the 250 and the Ghia.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You might wanna get hold of a pre 74 mod cortina to get away with emmision regs, (wink wink). You can use the 4 cyl diff by changing the yoke on the pinion shaft. I used to use a locked 3.7:1 in my old TD 250 and ran a 8.7 1/8th mile on street tyres with a 4spd single rail. Some of the early TC's used a 4 spd top loader. Hope this helps you in your quest!! go the Corty's!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts