Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im building an XE 351C for a childrens charity bash.

Im running a C4 auto at the moment. The C4 is due for a rebuild.......Im not sure if I should convert it to a T5 5 speed, replace it with a Top Loader or rebuild the C4 with a manual shift kit.

The car will weight about 1900kgs fully loaded and the motor puts out about 380 - 400 hp.

Any suggestions????

Cheers

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
Toploader - but I like manuals...
I don't know how long the t5 will last with 400hp from a clevo.
Tremec??

Are you going drag racing, circuit racing, just cruising???

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It'll get a good work out on the dirt and a fair bit of cruizing.

How heavy is the clutch on the Top Loader???

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Hayes Clutch with a Top Loader would be nice for that type of power, but a Fully rebuilt C4 with h/d clutches & bands a st2-3 shift kit & manual valve body with appropriate stall converter would definitely hold up. You have everything there already too so there would be no hassles with getting everything changed over.

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
Mine's pretty light. But then it will have a fair bit to do with your clutch setup

·
Registered
227 Posts
Go the toploader the t5 won't last neither would a single rail I broken two single rails behind a 351C in XE's Definately use the 11' clutch the twin plates don't last either. Not sure on the Hayes but a std PBR are fine, you can pick a 11' clutch kit up for around $250-$300

·
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch
594 Posts
go with the C4 definately. manuals were great 40 years ago, when there wasn't much of an alternative with 2 or 3 speed autos which were not up to the job of handling the power produced by the engines of the day.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I'm running an 11 inch RAM pressure plate on a billet steel flywheel with good ARP bolts. You don't want that thing letting loose at full RPM. With 400 poines I'd definitely make sure it's beefed up - good insurance.

The clutch is stiffer than a Hyundai but still OK to slap it thru the gears in quick time. I agree with everyone else - if you go the manual, go the toploader. Otherwise you'll destroy the cheap 5 spds on day one!

Your total weight seems a bit high. I took my XD down to the local tip and weighed it on the scales - 1670kg with me in it and 1/2 tank of fuel.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts