Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Packed up and gone.....
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday guys,

I took the Futura to Preston Autos and Diffs today to get a price on a 3.45:1 LSD for my Futura. After putting her up on the Hoist, the bloke there told me that my car has a 3.23:1 Diff, which is only one down from a 3.45, and therefore a waste of money to convert to 3.45 because the 3.23 is fairly similar, and not much difference.

He gave me a price of $625 for my 3.23 diff to be converted to an LSD (new cones and bearings all that) plus a nice and subtle Holographic 'Preston Automatics and Differential' sticker for the rear window.

He said that the change up from a 3.23 to a 3.45 wouldnt be that noticable for the jump in price.
He was looking after me I guess, anyone can stooge ya and say go the 3.45! But what do you guys think? I didnt know that there was a 3.23 Diff in between the 3.08 and 3.45! Your thoughts? Should I get the LSD on my 3.23 or should I upgrade to the 3.45? Or will I not notice that much from such a small jump?

cheers
-The Child

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Depends. If you are just getting an LS hemi fitted, and they are not removing the pinion, then go that way. If they are pulling the diff down to nothing, and you can upgrade to 3.45 gears for not too much extra, I would go the 3.45.

·
now with EF power!
891 Posts
why not go 3.7's or 3.9's....you'll notice that.

·
Packed up and gone.....
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know, It sits on just over 2000 RPM @100km/h as is, wouldnt a 3.9 make it really rev high at freeway speeds like almost 3000?? Thats gettin hIIgh

·
Registered
102 Posts
nooo it doesnt rev that HIGH with 3.9's!!!! get 3.9's or 4.11's going from 3.23 to 3.45's is ridiculous and those stickers attract coppa attention i took my off and noticed a big difference in "pulling over" rate lol but i had it there to help out my mates there

·
now with EF power!
891 Posts
Yeah it would...but you'd get there faster.

Personally i wouldnt go lower than 3.7's as i do a bit of highway work...but if you dont then the higher (well actually lower) the better.

I'd probably get 3.45's or something for myself. But it depends on how much highway driving you do and or if you care about it high revving.

·
R.I.P S/C EBII Fairmont
305 Posts
You should get a quote on how much extra it'd cost to go for the 3.45, and anything shorter for that matter. If going to 3.45 costs only an extra hundred or so than the 3.23, it'd deffintely be worth it. If you're talking a few hundred, then how much can u afford? In the future you may kick yourself for not going for a shorter ratio, especially if you like to do a bit of traffic light racing (up to the speed limit of course). We all have regrets, don't let these be one of yours. If you can afford it, do it!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I went from 3.23 open to 3.45 LSD in my AU I6 ute, you could definantly notice it. The only reason i did not go higher was because i travel 2 hrs a day mostly highway. It revs at about 2100rpm at 100.

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
Go for a spin in an XR6 with 3.45's... You'll end up going for 3.7's or 3.9's.

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
I have 3.45's in my XR6, I want 3.7's.
I would say change to the 3.7, hell, if your going to do it, do it for real :s6:

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
I went from a 3.27 to a 3.45 (got a nice cheap deal on an ef diff). Difference was noticible but not as much as I would have liked. There is also a way you can get the speedo reading correctly with 3.7's. I think it involves using a non standard gear in the sender. From memory standard ones are 8 tooth but there is another avalible.

·
I Love Forced Induction.
569 Posts
Go the 3.45lsd you can pick one up from wreckers. Or go 3.7lsd but the first gear ratio will be low.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts