Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm re-assembling a 1965 Ford 390. When installing the intake manifold, which sealant do I use? PermaGasket Non-Hardening or PermaGasket Hardening or a Hi-Temp RTV? I worried about the front/rear cork gaskets sliding out of position so I'm leaning towards the hardening or RTV products.

·
Registered
617 Posts
If you want to use the corks ,i usually use contact cement to stick them to the block first.That way they wont move..A lot of guys now just use a bead of silicone type sealer instead of the corks on the ends..You can also contact the gaskets to the heads and use a little sealer around water passages.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot for all the advice. I had to do the job twice. First time, I had trouble with the two rear bolts bottoming out, worried about the oil baffle interferring with my new Edlebrock Intake, and forgot to install the water pump connection on the intake front. So I cleaned off the Permagasket material and bought a new gasket set. I used Permatech Gray RTV sealant. Worked great. I also learned from my experience and talking with others, I had to cut down the length of two of my new intake manifold bolts by 1/2" for the two rear holes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts