Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just wondering which unleaded fuel people are using in their pre unleaded engines. In my XA 302 I use premium with moreys valve lube.
Thanks Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
BP Ulti whatever!! Any of the 98 RON PULPs.

What I fail to understand, seeing as you cannot buy petrol with lead in it, why make any refrence to lead at all? Is this some stupid politcaly correct marketing speak? Why not call unleaded "Regular" and PULP "Super".

Steve
 

·
old B - new B
Joined
·
890 Posts
i have been using BP ULTIMATE in my XB.
 

·
74 XB Fairmont
Joined
·
5,113 Posts
optimax extreme has been out since either nov or dec 05.

In a lead fuel engine you shouldn't run any less than 96ron which is what leaded fuel was rated at. You can get away with premium (95ron).

I run BP ultimate and Mobil Synergy both 98ron. Don't have access to 100ron to try yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
LUV DE COUPE said:
Hi everyone, just wondering which unleaded fuel people are using in their pre unleaded engines. In my XA 302 I use premium with moreys valve lube.
Thanks Brian
I run BP Ultimate mostly but will try the new 100 octane shell when I find somwhere that has it.

I have had problems with Shell Optimax going off before, re: if vehicle (bike in this case) has been sitting for awhile (week or 2) was very hard to start from cold - don't have the same problem with the other 98 oct - was told this had something to do with the additives they use in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,927 Posts
I use only 98 Ultimate. 100 Ultimate contains ethanol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
xcgxl said:
I use only 98 Ultimate. 100 Ultimate contains ethanol
probably a stupid question but what is the negative effects of ethanol. I was only looking at the octane rating for optimax extreme...does the ethanol damage your engine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,067 Posts
superbird302 said:
probably a stupid question but what is the negative effects of ethanol. I was only looking at the octane rating for optimax extreme...does the ethanol damage your engine?
I wouldn't use it in an old car. It can rot rubber seals, accelerate corrosion in the fuel system, lean off the engine, and produce greater evaporative emissions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
xbgs351 said:
I wouldn't use it in an old car. It can rot rubber seals, accelerate corrosion in the fuel system, lean off the engine, and produce greater evaporative emissions.
I wouldn't use it in a new one either - I think we'll find it does most of that in them too. Just a matter of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,067 Posts
northey said:
I wouldn't use it in a new one either - I think we'll find it does most of that in them too. Just a matter of time.
I guess it depends if you keep or turn over your cars. I keep my old cars and turn over the new ones. I still don't run the BA on any fuel with ethanol, but if I did, it would be the next owners problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
LUV DE COUPE said:
Hi everyone, just wondering which unleaded fuel people are using in their pre unleaded engines. In my XA 302 I use premium with moreys valve lube.
Thanks Brian
Hi Brian ,

It all comes down to compression ratio , I have a Standard 302 Windsor in my XW that I use everyday , Std Comp is 9:1 , I've done 80000k's on Standard regular Unleaded Petrol , Doesn't miss a beat &I change plugs around every 20000k's , I DON'T use any additives as they are a waste of money,

In my 398 cu Stroker I use Optimax Extreme buts its comp is 11.5:1 ,

Cheers

PV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
jg66me said:
BP Ulti whatever!! Any of the 98 RON Pulps.

What I fail to understand, seeing as you cannot buy petrol with lead in it, why make any reference to lead at all? Is this some stupid politically correct marketing speak? Why not call unleaded "Regular" and PULP "Super".

Steve

that's the most sensible thing I've seen on here for ages!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Jars said:
I have had problems with Shell Optimax going off before, re: if vehicle (bike in this case) has been sitting for awhile (week or 2) was very hard to start from cold
Shell Optimax wasn't designed/produced with the intention of it being used in Carburettored Cars/Motorcycles/engines... was intended for fuel injected motors... (Read that somewhere ages ago when people were blowing Go-Cart motors on it Regularly)

I use BP Ultimate... or Caltex Vortex
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top