Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Probe Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, If you havent already checked out my post in the probetalk probe lounge, check it out. its called "I AM KEEPING THE VEILSIDE PROBE!"

Im moving to Irvine in two weeks and bringing my car with me. I really need to find a trustworthy mechanic that's in Irvine to do all my work... I was wondering if you guys could direct me to a good shop.

I am also curious how many probe owners there are in Irvine, I would love to meet up with you and chat for a bit.

Can someone also tell me what the california state emissions standards are and what things they test?

In vancouver they test two things, carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons.

for hydrocarbons the max allowable is 107, and for carbon monoxide the max allowable is .81.

they do an IDLE test here.

Could someone check their emissions paper and tell me if irvine is more or less stricter than vancouver BC? and how often do you have to go for the test? Here it is once a year.

Thanks very much, I need to know ASAP.

-aaron
veilside probe gt

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Aaron, I believe cars from out of state/country have different requirements for smog they must meet, due to the fact that when the car was made, it wasnt made for California emissions. I believe it also costs more for you to smog it since your car isnt from California. Not sure on the requirements though.

·
Probe Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nylie: okay..NOT GOOD.

basically im pretty sure I can use my insurance for up to 6 months in the states. I checked up on it already. but after 6 months im considered a permanent resident and I must get my car insured in the states.

I am hoping that within the 6 months I have on my canadian insurance, ill figure out a way to make my car california emissions safe.

Do you guys know any good mechanics that can help me out in Irvine?

My mechanic raises the timing of my engine to pass emmisions test here, then he puts it back to normal after.
I just need to find someone that can do this for me in Cali, that I can trust.

I have a question tho...
is just passing cali requirements good enough, or do I need to actually fit my car with new cats and sensors and all that crap to pass?

thanks a lot !

-aaron

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Aaron, check out California DMV's web site for more info:

www.dmv.ca.gov

It gives you a ton of info and offices to contact, plus where to contact in Sacramento (state capital) for more info if you still cant find any. I have a wonderful mechanic I trust, but hes not in southern cal. If you want, you can stop by on your way down to SoCal and meet with him. He is a wealth of information!

·
Probe Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you very much nylie... I checked out the site, turns out I need to get my USA license within TEN DAYS! i thot i had 6 months! that sucks

ill call them tommorow to see what the emmission standards are..thank you very much again!

·
Probe Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill try to make it!

Do you guys have any online maps of the south cali area?

I would really like to know if sandiego, santa monica, longbeach, sunnyvale, montery, ponoma... all these places are close to where im living...

im going to be living right near the airport in IRVINE...

any maps? =)

thanks!

·
SCPOC/Probe GTS Member
58 Posts
go to maps.yahoo.com...

Sunnyvale is Northern California, about 400 miles from Irvine.
Long Beach is reasonably close to Irvine. San Diego is a couple hundred miles south. etc...

By the way, like I said before, I think you're making the right choice keeping the Probe, good deal...

·
Probe GT Member
5 Posts
mechanic

there is a friend of mine whose shop is in Irvine. its kind of hard to find, might want to look him up. under Michaelangelos Motorwerks. he does BMW's and Porsche but he knows Mazdas too. good guy. does good honest work.
~lalo

·
Probe Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
l dawg >> AWESOME. thanks man, I really need to make some connections, car wise. Could you get me the Name and Phone# of the place? ill probably go down there as soon as i get in town.

thanks again bud, if you guys ever need any favors dont hesitate to ask!

Im gonna be working for BLIZZARD entertainment...they make starcraft, warcraft, diablo... maybe I can hook you up with a game or something =)

-aaron

·
SCPOC/Probe GT Member
238 Posts
What a small world! I'm so close it doesn't matter (Tustin's next door). I work in Irvine & it's a 15 minute commute :)

I think you can get away with registration for a while--a friend had a Colorado Taurus wagon (before the PSE, much better now) & took forever to get it smogged. I still go to my mechanic in Huntington Beach & he will pull the same stunt to pass smog. I once had a Hyundai (good riddings!) that needed the same adjustments to pass.

SD is about 45 minutes in the right conditions, LB is about 30, Monterey is 6 hours.

Send me mail when you get here. I'm dying to see that car.

Oh yeah, check out the Irwindale meet topic. Can we count the Monster Probe for it?

·
Probe Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chris! sweet... you live super close to me... my first california friend... haha

Hopefully you'll have time to hang out and show me around... check out the spots where the hunnies hang out =)

And that is so awesome you can show me a mechanic that can help me pass smog check..i feel so much better now.. all my worries are at ease.

gimme an email
[email protected]

and ill give ya a call when im in town...

thanks again

-Aaron

G

·
0 Posts
Hey Monster, when you get into town let me now. I live in Cypress about 20 min from Ivine and I can take care of just about everything you need down here. The most important ones for you though would be your insurance and smog. I have hook ups for both. Let me know when you get here and its done you wont have to change a thing for you smog. Cant get into details here but hit me up when you get in to town.

·
Probe Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got balls : excellent, thanks very much... now I am 100% comfortable with bringing my car down! im looking forward to this all and meeting you guys..ill see ya in around two weeks!

lata!

-Aaron

·
SCPOC/Probe GT Member
238 Posts
Now that you're post has raised my awareness, I've been watching the roads today. I don't think you'll need to do a thing, from checking pics on PT; unless they're misleading, I think there's a number of slammed Hondas running around here with about half the clearance you have. I think the only area that would even think about giving dings is Santa Ana (they seem determined to wait until the streets revert to dirt roads before repaving :rolleyes: ). Then of course the normal driveway/speedbump deal (but I saw a Diablo successfully negotiate one so...)

I'm sure all of SCPOC will be happy to show you around. There's a bunch of us nearby.

·
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez
681 Posts
got balls? said:
The most important ones for you though would be your insurance and smog. I have hook ups for both.

hmmm. smog hookups!?

this is something i will definitely be needing in the next 4 months. :)

hell, i could use one right now to get rid of the jag i have.

·
Probe Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
chris > awesome man, thanks for looking out! so ive got the smog covered, roads are nice, im raising my car so i should have enough clearance..ive insured my car for 6 months here, and its good for the states, so i have 6 months to find a good place to insure my car in the USA, everything is taken care of! =)

see ya soon guys!

im flying down on the 7th of august, till the 10th of august..just to find my apartment in irvine.

blizzard is right by the john wayne airport...about 5-10 minutes away drive.

Do you guys know any good apartments around that area?

thanks, see ya soon

-aaron

·
It's been a long time...
52 Posts
Aaron,

My mother lives in Rancho Santa Margarita/Mission Viejo . Let me know if you need anything.

Chuck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts