Ford Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up the new ute next week...yeah!...but it likely won't be garaged due to lack of space at home, so...

Who uses car covers, where did you buy it, and are they worth it if you can't garage your car?

·
AUPS Member
668 Posts
You have to keep you car clean all the time, if you dont the cover will scratch your car. Also they dont stop water like they say, it soaks through and dirtys the car.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I totally agree with cheahman, as I had one for the XE. Did exactly what cheahman said: water & dirt soaked thru, sometimes staining the car, and if the paint already had dust/grit on it, it'd get scratched.

Also, those covers are a prick of a thing to fold back up to original size.

One last point: what do you do with the cover when it's soaking wet, eh? I'm totally against them now, and that old car cover is rotting in my parents' cellar, muahaha!

-Dave-

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I had one for the AU, never got to see how good it worked because the first time i put it on was when i went away with work for 2 months and i got knocked off!

·
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane
3,293 Posts
grand parents used to have a high quality one for their fairlane and now the paint is rooted on the top surfaces because of it (and the Bendigo sun). i wouldnt use one after seeing what happens. they are time consuming and a pain in the arse to say the least.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I have a top quality one and use it all the time after it has been washed,they must have the good underfelt on them,and as far as water getting through them i 've never had the problem,like i said i always wash it before i put it on and i generally polish it every 5 weeks or so.
I bought mine at Autobarn and paid around the $300 mark and its works keeps the dust and the water off as far as im concerned.
Cheers John

·
2,153 Posts
At last years All Ford Day in Sydney there was stall selling custom Ford Car covers. I don't know if they were any good but they sure looked good.

I considered getting a cover for when I go camping so I don't get tree sap falling on the car, but I ended up using two old cotton double bed sheets instead.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
GTPChris said:
I love my double garage with automatic roller doors.
Shaddup shaddup shaddup!!!

·
Previously XR8_Ute
224 Posts
I bought one of the SuperWorks ones on special for $30 in Supercheap. It's a good ute liner now..........
Way too heavy for the car, swirls the crappe out of it.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
GTPChris said:
I love my double garage with automatic roller doors.
My GT is garaged under cover all the time but i still use my car cover.
Cheers John

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
GTP 320 said:
My GT is garaged under cover all the time but i still use my car cover.
Cheers John
What he said
my cover cost about $300 i think and i think it was an Autotechnica? but definatly was made in italy. It is a felt on the underside with a vinyl outer, keeps the car looking good and doesnt scratch the paint at all.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Perana XR8 said:
What he said
my cover cost about $300 i think and i think it was an Autotechnica? but definatly was made in italy. It is a felt on the underside with a vinyl outer, keeps the car looking good and doesnt scratch the paint at all.
You dont understand ? what im saying is even though my GT is garaged and under cover from the elements ,i still use a car cover to keep the dust off,hope that is clear to you lol
Cheers John

·
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel
3,582 Posts
GTP 320 said:
I have a top quality one and use it all the time after it has been washed,they must have the good underfelt on them,and as far as water getting through them i 've never had the problem,like i said i always wash it before i put it on and i generally polish it every 5 weeks or so.
I bought mine at Autobarn and paid around the $300 mark and its works keeps the dust and the water off as far as im concerned.
Cheers John
Do you know what brand it is John?

My car is outside all the time and I've given up on my car cover. It doesnt keep out the rain and it just dirties the car.

I've been on the look out for a decent one.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
It's called Autotechnica
Cheers John

·
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel
3,582 Posts
GTP 320 said:
It's called Autotechnica
Cheers John
Thanks, I'll have a look at my local Autobarn on the weekend