Ford Forums banner

What is your EA - ED like to refuel?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people have trouble filling their EA - ED's? My car is an absolute dog to try and fill up! It takes about 7 seconds to put a litre in. That doesnt sound too bad like that but a whole tank takes over 5 minutes. Its annoying because most of the time it needs to be running slower than the first click on the bowser nozzle so I have to stand there drip feeding the fuel in. Ive already pulled the tank off and checked the air bleed hose, pulled it off and blown it out and also blown the fittings on each end out - both were clear. I tried leaving the tank a bit slack but the same thing happened. This happens at all servo's so I've come to the conclusion it must be a design fault and there fore a heap of people must have the same problem. Ive had a few comments from servo staff that 'those cars are always bad' etc.

So if your car ills like a normal car please post what model it is and likewise if its a drip fed baby like mine is. Lets se just how widespread the problem is.

·
I am a Turbo Wanker
2,379 Posts
My ED is fine, first Falcon I've been able to fill that can go flat chat from empty to over the 68L mark (don't ask me why). The car that pisses me off though is my work car, 98 Rodea 4WD you just about can't fill the damn thing up because it clicks off as soon as you turn it on! It takes over 10sec to put a litre in that puppy!

Back on topic mate, our 1989 EA Wagon (shit box) had the same problem, it would cut off all the time.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
my EF even has issues, try to squeez as hard as possible and it clicks off real fast.
have to drip feed it constantly, lucky i have LPG :D

·
Territory TS - AWD
2,374 Posts
My Ed's fine but the XG ute I had was like that. I know you say it's been checked but I reckon your breather line has collapsed. Something's wrong.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
only very very rarely do i eva have a problem...

most of the time is sweet. and i have also put in 67L one time and the light only came on!!! filled that baby rite up.

i reckon the light is full of shit, i dont dare do anymore than 50k's when the light is on, cuz i no its getting low on the juice

·
I am a Turbo Wanker
2,379 Posts
Thats debatable OED666 - my light comes on just after the trip computer beeps at me for the last 80kms left in the tank. I usually drive it down to 20kms or so (about 580kms per tank) and fill her up with around 70+ litres... now, does the car have a bigger tank of are the pumps charging us for more fuel than we really have!? I wonder...

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
i had that once at shell filling with gas. EVERY time id filled up when its on red it was 58 litres the it would click off/full. this one time it went to 64 and still had more to go? and the pump was filling abnormally slow.

·
WHAT THE?
925 Posts
yeah i've got the same problem although I find it happens more on hot days....and more at Shell servos than other servos for some reason! I find if you hold the fuel nozzle half way in and only pull back half way on the trigger it's usually a bit better. I can never push it all the way in and go flat chat from empty to full without it ever clicking off.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Yeah, Shell pumps are shit house, no problems with anything else though. And seems I try to use Mobile PULP, meh, stuff Shell.

·
still around... sometimes
498 Posts
my lpg filler is half covering the petrol filler, and so it's a biatch trying to get the cap off the petrol one. once i've acheived that, sometimes at different servos the nozzle on the fuel bowser isn't long enough to go into the fuel filler far enough even start filling her up, let alone start clicking, because the lpg is in the way...frustrating to say the least. :\

Jared

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
i have trouble with every fill, i think its something to do with the breather, but i dont nkow where it is or even what to do to fix it, clicks off every 1.5 litres - which is really annoying..
i mostly use BP ultimate, so

ive noticed some servos are worse than others.

mum was telling me they sometimes even have the same problem on their 02 AU2 Fairmont wagon

·
Phat Drift Damage Victim
985 Posts
My EA had that problem, had to stop every 10 seconds and let it sit for a few seconds, I never got the energy to go looking for the problem so just put up with it. My dads EA wagon used to do it but it's somehow fixed itself and you can fill it with the trigger fully open these days. My EF doesnt have a problem either

·
EB wagon
932 Posts
Yeah, my eb wagon does that... Its fine filling an empty tank but when u get say 3/4, it starts spilling from the air bleeder even tho that tanks not full! i gotta drip fill it after that!

Brent

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I envy the people who's cars are normal. I guess when your like me and put $10 in at a time that $10 takes a while to fill so people think your puttin in a whole tank. The reason I made this thread was because me ea never had a problem. I have the tank out of it ready to install into the eb. The EA tank has a breather on the top of the tank, then another one halfway up the spout and both are connected by a Tee peice which then goes to the metal nipple on the nozzle. I was interested becaue my EB only has the one breather which is the one on the top of the tank and has the one hose going straight to the metal nipple. Perhaps this is the problem?

The hose isnt the problem because i was able to see from one end to the other looking through it.

·
What kind of ham?
36 Posts
My 30th anniversiary EA fills fine. I usually fill at a Caltex btw.. if I hold the nozzle halfway in it will click at anything over halfway, but if I put it all the way in she cant get enough. Strange :p

·
E-Series wagon owner
1,929 Posts
mine rarely has that problem too but that's only if i fill more then $20 but i usually just put $20 in that get's me through 1 week :s5

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Never had a problem with my EA. It fills up quickly every time. The VS on the other hand... Friggen nightmare, it took me like 5 mins to put in 20 litres the first time I took it to a servo. I told another Commodore guy at work and he told me to turn the nozzle to the side when filling. So I tried that and it filled up quickly like a normal car. I guess I'm just skilled at it :angel:

Ash

1 - 20 of 57 Posts