Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another quick question, What is the purpose of an oil catch can attached to the rocker cover? I see them everywhere now and I dont understand why they are needed.

thanks
dan

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
The help in oil seperation.
In blown engines the evacuation lines to throttle body need to disconnected other wise it'll compress crankcase and blow oil every where from blower..So a catch can is made up to seperate the oil and the line is connected to blower or turbo inlet..
In N/A form it does prevent detonation as oil particles in combustion chamber will cause detonation...Check out MOST Windsor inlets?? They're full of oil..From PCV system...

·
Team Galaxy: Mad Bastard
2,847 Posts
Ahhhhhh....I was about to help answer some questions in this thread...as my XR6 is having an oil catch can fitted today. anyway, couldn't have explained it better than ebxr8240

·
Now boostless :-(
695 Posts
yep what ebxr8240 said. And if your oil catch can fills up quickly like mine does (fills every couple of hours of driving), you've got problems! My cars going in tomorrow to get checked out, i just hope it's not rings/pistons that have gone!

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So there will be a line from the rocker cover to a catch can and back to the rocker cover?
Or does does a line go from the rocker cover to the catch can and a line from the catch can to the intake? If this is the case why does there need to be a connection from the rocker to the intake?

My old crossflow used to spit oil all over the air intake on the inside.

Thanks for your help guys
Dan

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
there should be a line from the rocker cover to the can (on the side near the top usually) then a line from the top of the can to the intake (before the boosting apparatus) and another from the bottom of the can back to the sump (?)

oil/air comes in from the rocker cover, gets seperated in the can (i think they have a filter or some steel wool or something in them to help this process?) the oil drains into the sump, and the air goes into the air intake to be burned by the engine.

i have seen lots of imports with the can vented to atmosphere, instead of back into the intake, which is illegal *tisk tisk tisk* :D

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Dont drain the oil catch can back into the sump, if you actually saw the crap that it catches then you'll understand...Its more than just oil

·
Team Galaxy: Mad Bastard
2,847 Posts
Yes, it's more than just oil....it's the chunky bits....

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
A vacuum pump helps also in evac blowby..It also helps rings seal against bores giving more power and helps oil seals etc...

·
Registered
847 Posts
Rollin said:
there should be a line from the rocker cover to the can (on the side near the top usually) then a line from the top of the can to the intake (before the boosting apparatus) and another from the bottom of the can back to the sump (?)

oil/air comes in from the rocker cover, gets seperated in the can (i think they have a filter or some steel wool or something in them to help this process?) the oil drains into the sump, and the air goes into the air intake to be burned by the engine.

i have seen lots of imports with the can vented to atmosphere, instead of back into the intake, which is illegal *tisk tisk tisk* :D
Yes Rollin it is and remember Every K over is a KILLER! woot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts