Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
TQE FAIRMONT GHIA
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have windows 98 and have just done some windows and explorer updates and now its VERY slow. I mean Im typing this out and its taking about 5 seconds for everything to appear on the screen. I have tried reducing the graphics accelerator and cleaned out the hard drive got all the latest updates etc and still it wont run fast. The comp is a HP pavillion 4410. 350mhz and 156 mb RAM .I realise its never going to be a rocket machine but its never been this maddingly slow. Its all started since the old man turned off the computer by accident when it was half way through some updates. any ideas???

·
Registered
341 Posts
BOON250 said:
Its all started since the old man turned off the computer by accident when it was half way through some updates. any ideas???
I think you just answered your own question.

As for what you can do, it's hard to tell without sitting in front of the thing. My suggestion is to rebuild the machine.

·
Mmm, high pressure wash.
3,086 Posts
Try installing the updates again so that they are installed properly and completely. That might help. Also, do a chkdsk /f against your C: drive. Also do a defrag.

If all that fails, get a hammer... :s6:

·
now with EF power!
891 Posts
Dont use win98 :p

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was experiencing similar problems on my machine after installing Microsoft update Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q811493. When I was searched MS forums and discovered that Microsoft had a problem with that patch & apparently they're reworking it. Try checking to see if you have this update and if so uninstall it. The other thing would be to search the MS knowledge base.
Good luck - Eric

·
TQE FAIRMONT GHIA
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies guys . I have the hammer ready!

·
Senior Events Moderator
1,710 Posts
danege said:
Dont use win98 :p
What do you suggest he uses then, On a PC that slow windows XP would run like a Dog and win ME is just a joke. I have dual boot win98 and Xp on my pc ATM. I play all my games in win98 because they run heaps faster and I get better frame rates. I only have a amd duron 900. Linux might be a option.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
i use win 98 seems to be all good.

i have a slow ass computer but im sure its cause if a corrupt file (or 30 of em) so it'll be reformatted and wiped to have everything re-installed.

i'd be wiping the computer clean and re starting over again.

·
Teh Pimp
311 Posts
I would have to say that it is simply because your hardware is a little old. I know you probably don't want to fork out $300 for a cheap upgrade but old hardware will get slower and eventually die.

Also, newer software will just make it worse. Windows XP is more efficient but you will need a better computer and will just make a slow PC (using Win98), slower.

If you want to be real cheap, the easiest thing to do probably is to get more RAM. SD-RAM is cheap these days so it won't hurt...

·
We Love Greb Murpy
3,022 Posts
One Ford Drone said:
Windows XP is more efficient
I hope you aren't talking about it's use of resource management.... it's the most inefficient POS I've ever used in that regard.

·
Registered
765 Posts
XP boots quicker than 98 and if you turn all the bells and whistles crap off its a far better operating system than 98. Straight out of the box its fairly ordinary though. You may also have spyware on your machine head over to www.lavasoft.de and download adaware.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I also have the same computer A Hewlett Packard 4410, and yes, I am running Win XP professional edition, and it is not that bad when you use the older win 98 formatting for the GUI. Also, do not use WMP to play your MP3's, get Winamp, the fastest media player I know, simply use the classic skin, and your away, i can also play C.S on min, in software, 600x400, after going into my NIOS and changing the size of the Intgreted Graphics to 8mb, instead of the stock of 4mb. The reason I am running XP is because my mum intentionally pulled the plug on me while i was moving files and changing setings , and corrupted my entire 98 setup, meaning I had NO mouse, sound graphics, and worst of all, the origional setup files that came on it were heavily corrupted!!! so no reinstalling 98 for me....so I went to....wait for it....Win 95......that sucked beyond belief, and bought a 128 and a 64 mb pc100 SDRAM from my friend at school, and put myself to a grand total of 256Mb, reduced to 248,,,because of my 8meg onboard video card. Anways, my advice to you would be to get your hands on your serial key, (right click my computer, Properties) and its on the 1st page, and freshly reinstall 98, stay away from IE, get Mozilla Firefox, and be happy, lol :priest:

·
Registered
52 Posts
buy some mem sticks off ebay i have 3 of them in my pc i just checked and there on there i have a windows xp disc if you want a copy i charge $15 for the disc and it will make life easier it has all windows programs on it 95/98/ml/xp. my email address is [email protected] let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
BOON250 said:
I have windows 98 and have just done some windows and explorer updates and now its VERY slow. I mean Im typing this out and its taking about 5 seconds for everything to appear on the screen. I have tried reducing the graphics accelerator and cleaned out the hard drive got all the latest updates etc and still it wont run fast. The comp is a HP pavillion 4410. 350mhz and 156 mb RAM .I realise its never going to be a rocket machine but its never been this maddingly slow. Its all started since the old man turned off the computer by accident when it was half way through some updates. any ideas???
You are about 3 editions of Windows behind the current version and multiple updates from microsoft....
plus i imagine u have 256 meg of ram which is minimal nowadays.....
trade computers,er:buy a new ome with windows XP...you really don't have a choice.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
give the opera browser a go, it's much better, my computer was also killed by microsoft updates... it told me i needed 3 updates, when i installed them i logged back on and it said i needed one more, when i got it it said i needed even more! this went on untill i had installed around ten updates and the computer crashed refusing to ever boot again, from then on i NEVER get microsoft updates...
just defrag and reinstall dude, also make sure you partition your drive so you dont loose files next time!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts