Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very bored at school today and a group of us couldn't figure this out..

Why don't Ford have an F1 Race team? and I'm not talking about Jag or Jordan. Sure Jag and Jordan are virtually Ford with their engines and ofcourse the fact the Ford owns Jag yada yada yada.

But I want to know why the second biggest car manufacturer in the WOLRD (2nd to GM but then again I doubt that too) can't have their own F1 team. Why not scrap Jag and Jordan and whatever and put some mega money into F1?

Ford have ALL the resources the other teams could only dream about. I'm not a big fan of F1 but I do watch nearly all the races in a year and all live even if it's 2am. Just imagine a vivid blue F1 car thats a FORD, not a mix or a partnership. Ford is international, we all know that, and F1 is by far the most popular and biggest form of Motorsport on the planet (Long live the V8Supercars! :bsr: ), I'm sure there's lots of reasons/excuses for this not happening but none of it seems to make any sense to me.

Cheers, Pritey

·
Registered
161 Posts
The team that is now Jaguar Racing was orginially Ford branded. Jackie Stewart was a figure head (like Brock - Team Brock) for his son Paul. The team was known as Paul Stewart Racing (PSR) when it was formed after a buy out of a struggling team. Most of the funding was comming from Ford and eventually Ford took over the team. I am not sure why they changed the branding to Jaguar but I can remember Ford stating that they may change it back sometime if they start perfoming well.

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
Ambrose_1 said:
First they should stop making budget cuts, also i think it might be like a performance thing, like jaguar is like ford's performance cars so they brand the formula 1 cars jag so they can use it like that if you get my drift?? that is the aim of competing in F1
Not going to happen when the ceo of the company doesn't want to be a part of F1 and can't justify the millions spent, and is just waiting till he can pull out of the sport as he didn't want to be there in the first place, but it was beyond his control at the time...

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jag is Ford's Performance brand?! - Fu*k that!

Ford is it's own performance/racing brand, just in so many forms in different countries. And if you believe in what you say wouldn't you say that Aston Martin is more Performance then Jag?! I believe that Ford/Jag/Jordan whatever need to take a year off and come back as a FORD F1 team, a full budget and hopefully they'd be competitive in a year or two.

As for the CEO of Ford - Who is a yank (no offense), needs some sense knocked onto him. America dosen't really give a toss about F1 even though theres a round there, I mean they have the CART series and the IRL (funfun!) , they don't care about F1. Well as we all know Ford is much larger than America! and I don't think they know would a propper Ford F1 team would do for Ford International as a whole...

·
Rice Sucks
347 Posts
The ex boss of Ford Jac nasser who is a melbourne boy btw,
Wanted to have a Jaguar F1 team to promote Jaguar as a real competitor to the German luxury marques.
Ok it didnt work, bad planning and management, and it alienated a lot of Ford diehards like us who wanted a FORD team.

William CLay Ford doesnt want Ford in F1, so if results dont improve, could be bye to jaguar, but hopefully Cosworth would stay.

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
F1 doesn't sell cars, F1 is all about R&D that the manufactures can use, patent and that then improve their chances in the marketplace.. So Ford already has access to all the R&D via Jag so from a $$ and cents view F1 does not warrant any more investment..

·
2,922 Posts
tibbo is correct - Formula One does not sell a particular car like NASCAR or World Rally or V8 Supercars does.

DonutKing is also correct, the CEO is unlikely to keep Ford in Formula One, let alone increase spending.

Jaguar was chosen not because it is Ford's performance brand alone - it was chosen because of the competitors in the sport. BMW, Mercedes, and Ferrari were the main rivals at the time, and Jaguar was seen as Ford's most closely aligned product with those companies.

Cheers... Tim

·
Mr Photoshop
1,155 Posts
priteshpatel99 said:
Jag is Ford's Performance brand?! - Fu*k that!

Ford is it's own performance/racing brand, just in so many forms in different countries. And if you believe in what you say wouldn't you say that Aston Martin is more Performance then Jag?! I believe that Ford/Jag/Jordan whatever need to take a year off and come back as a FORD F1 team, a full budget and hopefully they'd be competitive in a year or two.
At the time of naming all the ford owned comapanies came together to discuss what brand the team will be called. After much heated discussion they had a Rock, Scissors, Paper competition. By the end it was between Jaguar and Mazda in a best of three match. Jaguar won the decider with a scissors over paper. Mazda wanted a best of 5 but Jag would have none of it. :AAHHH: :wnc:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Also Jag has a history in F1 and Ford doesn't.

·
2,922 Posts
Er, Ford has a most rich history in Formula One, most notably with Ford's Cosworth V8 DFV (Double Four Valve) engines.

The DFV won first time out in the 1967 Dutch Grand Prix with Jim Clark, and went on to be the most successful engine in Formula One ever, winning 155 grand prix in total. Jody Scheckter took Ford's 100th DFV win, with final win in the 1983 Grand Prix in Detroit.

The 3 Litre V8 put out 410bhp in its introduction, up to 475bhp by 1977, and finished with 535bhp in its final evolution. No other engine has been a winning formula for over 15 years, winning 12 championships and 155 grand prix in total.

McLaren have used Ford engines on and off up until 1993, not only that, but as recently as 1994 with Benetton and one Michael Schumacher, Ford won the World Championship again. Stewart Ford won a grand prix at the European Grand Prix with Johnny Herbert in 1999, and more recently, the 2003 Brazilian Grand Prix with Jordan Ford, but the glory days were definitely with the legendary DFV.

Hope that helps clear up Ford's heritage in Formula One! :fraz:

Cheers... Tim

·
Registered
738 Posts
The picked Jaguar as they thought the target audience would respond to Jaguar better than Ford. It's Ford's money going in, but the name on the car is Jaguar - which is owned by Ford anyway

·
Australian Probe Member
841 Posts
Driver said:
Also Jag has a history in F1 and Ford doesn't.
Actually Jaguar has no history in F1, their history is in Sports Cars, as is Aston Martin.

Ford have had heaps of opportunity to bail on the F1 programme. Sure they have scaled the Jaguar invest back but they probably a higher investment than anyone, if you take the engine supply into account.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Zantetsuken said:
Er, Ford has a most rich history in Formula One, most notably with Ford's Cosworth V8 DFV (Double Four Valve) engines.
Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I did mean as a car. I did know about the history of their engine.

·
ford butcher and baker
217 Posts
Let Bernie Ecclestone tell us what is wrong with Fords racing programme:

Bernie Ecclestone reckons car-giant Ford is being 'silly' about its F1 project.

The sport's supremo wonders why the American manufacturer, which offers an incomplete budget for Jaguar Racing, are happy to run at the back of the field.

'I really don't know,' he told Australian journalists.

Jaguar's budget for this season, around the $160 million mark, compares to the nearly $400 million annual fares for championship- rivals Ferrari and McLaren.

'Ford have got to decide what they want to be,' said Bernie, who notes that since the Leaping Cat started racing in 2000, it has scored only two podiums.

MARQUE HAS ALWAYS FALLEN-SHORT

He added: 'Do they want to be competitive or do they want to race the private teams? It seems a little silly to me that they're not where they should be.'

73-year-old Ecclestone, president of the Formula One Management group, says Ford has always fallen short 'at the last dollar' when it came to grands prix.

'It's simply a case of how much they're prepared to pay,' he concluded. 'They have never, ever, created the budget that is necessary to get the job done.'

Ecclestone expressed an ardent desire to see Ford's US-owned rival manufacturer General Motors in F1. 'Maybe they're working on it,' he offered as a hint.

Source GMM / CAPSIS International (F1-live.com)

·
FPV Tasmania Member
961 Posts
you got to think F1 is biggest in europe
the reason Ford went withthe jaguar branding was to compete directly with BMW and Mercedes. They want to prove that the Jaguar is as good as a BMW and Mercedes. And anyone thats says F1 is not about selling cars, well would be car companies be involved if it wasnt. Is about Brand recognition, and saying the Brand X was a the worlds best car in F1, and their technology is being used in their road cars, its all about selling more cars.

·
Scoob010
410 Posts
Seems foolish to compete with a brand you want to be held in regard as being
superior to others, if your only going to fund it to be beaten by them all year.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts