Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BA:Now were in business!
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if either Ford or the dark side have investigated the possability of competing in the Australian rally?

Ford Australia has a wonderful opportunity to get the jump on holden by entering a Focus (or 2) into the Australian rally championship. The hard work has already been done by the international team, I am sure they wouldn't mind having an input seeing as we all have blue blood.
What do you guys think?

·
Mmmm, forbidden donut
365 Posts
I think it's a great idea to raise the profile of the Focus, especially given Toyota are increasing the involvement of the market leading Corolla..

·
We Love Greb Murpy
3,022 Posts
If the could slap on the internation rally aero kit, it'd be cool too =)

·
freelance
1,086 Posts
Didn't Geoff P say he wanted to start rallying Focus once he had secured a long term competitive position for Falcon in V8 supercar?

·
Registered
96 Posts
RED_EL_XR8 said:
Didn't Geoff P say he wanted to start rallying Focus once he had secured a long term competitive position for Falcon in V8 supercar?
I think you'll find now that Ford has won the championship, they may expand their motorsport interests. Procar 24 hr, Rally. I hope so, it'd be good to see them involved a bit more. They proved they were serious when they pulled their money from the tennis.

·
100MPH Hunter
1,045 Posts
There is possibility of Focus competeting in 2005 with the new shape, this again is only from a few sources.

·
Registered
17 Posts
some people here make it sound like they would be using the Focus WRC03, which they wont because the australian rally championship is now only for Group N cars, they dont allow full on WRC cars

so they would have to use some sort of Cosworth Focus (like is rumoured to be put into production) or build a prototype car like the Toyota team is doing

·
BA:Now were in business!
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ben Williams said:
some people here make it sound like they would be using the Focus WRC03, which they wont because the australian rally championship is now only for Group N cars, they dont allow full on WRC cars

so they would have to use some sort of Cosworth Focus (like is rumoured to be put into production) or build a prototype car like the Toyota team is doing
If holden can do it with Procar/Bathurst 24 hr why can't Ford do it to the Australian rally? Same sh*t different bucket..... :hehe: Ford can "say" yes we are going to sell these Cosworth Focuses in Australia.....oh whoops sorry changed our minds, but can we still race them?
Seriously though, good point. But why can't they just use the ST170 with a body kit? Or it could be a great excuse to import some higher end Focuses or develop a hotter one with FPV.....all in all would be a great promo for the Focus.

·
Registered
96 Posts
They should be allowed to do what ben said, run a prototype like Toyota. Who cares if you can't buy one with the same gear. As long as the manufacturer is competing, and employing people to race them, let them have a crack. As long as it's not going to kick everyones butt and wreck the series, fine.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
could be a good thing bringing a focus into the championship they have everything else covered just about,so why not?

·
Newbie #10458632
100 Posts
You've got a good point with why they didn't chuck a Focus in there, I mean it wouldn't take that much new engineering as they could just copy what the other rally Focus' used.

·
Are we there yet?
1,621 Posts
There are 3 basic rules for the cars that can enter the ARC.

1) Production 2L 4cyls, IE WRX, EVO Lancer

2) Take a donor car, put the mechanicals from another car from the same make, and adapt the mechanicals to the car, IE Toyota Corolla with Celica GT-4 Group A mechanicals.

3) Take the donor car, rip everything out, and fit either WRX or EVO engine/trans/driveline to it, which no-one has done yet, as far as I am aware, although there was rumour of 2-4 companies looking into it.

Ford could enter now with a 3dr Focus, with RS200 Mechanicals, and the turbo engine from either the RS200, Cosworth Sierra, Turbo Focus (If they exist) or just turbo the current engine. I'm not too sure if Ford have released the 4wd Focus yet.

·
2,922 Posts
I'll actually be attending rally events should Ford enter a Focus or two! :wnc:

I am pretty sure they could import some group N rally cars from somewhere, or at least have the specs/details to make one.

Would love to be flying Ford flags in the forests! Woot!

Cheers....... Tim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
13 Participants
Timmeh
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing