Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I get in my car today and I can barely get it to go into gear. Seems I have to force it or put constant pressure on the shifter and wait a few secs to get it to go in. Feels pretty much like the clutch is only halfway in (which turns out to be the case, keep reading plz) while I'm trying to shift. After a painful 10 minutes of driving this way trying to get the car home, I notice my cruise has stopped working too....Hmmm...I start to figure something is not right with the clutch (not engaging).

Well, for the heck of it, I "pull" the pedal up with my foot while in neutral (it felt I little low) and viola, everything starts working again. Cruise works, car shifts like butter again, and I notice I don't have to push the clutch in as hard (had to push really hard before) to start the car.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Thanks,
Ted

·
Forgotten
65 Posts
Crawl up under your dash and make sure there's nothing in the way of your clutch's travel.
If that's not it, check your slave cylinder & pressure plate.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
You may have to dig a little deeper!!

tbadiuk,

Lets just hope you are not going through what I went through an few months ago. Do you clutch pedal sinks to the floor after the car has been park for awhile(like overnight)? Have your brake light came on in recent weeks and you had to put in more fluid? If so then you have a leak in you Clutch hose/line assembly.

I did not know this at the time but the clutch hydraulics shares the shame fluid/reservoir as the brake system. And after I lost total control of the mtx, I went tearing into the e-bay. This means removing the battery and it's tray. There I found a fluid situation (pon not intended). I found that I had a pin-hole in the Clutch hose(hard rubber maybe) that inter-connects the master/slave cylinder clutch lines(metal).

Called Ford but their prices varied from place to place and no of them had it in stock. So how though Mazda has always come through in clutch situations (pon intended). Anyways, $16 and change and I was back on the road.

By intuition, I bled the system just like you would the brake lines. And even though the reservoir is shared, it is partitioned so if you clutch line drain out, it will not interfere with the brake's fluid supply. Just make sure you have some fresh fluid on hand because you will loose some when you swap the hose.

Hope this helps you out.

Peace,
-Yah

1 - 3 of 3 Posts