Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that the AX4N transmission is a common one among a lot of vehicles. It looks to be mostly a Taurus trans.

When I look up our 2006 Mercury Monterey it says it also takes the AX4N. But when I look on eBay at that same transmission it says it's not compatible -- which makes me nervous to buy one. What's up?

Wiki also says this trans is in the Monterey -- jeez, why doesn't eBay confirm this? It's straightforward.

Here's my other big question: Is there anything else I need to know than the trans code name? Like, I see Taurus has floor shifter...does that matter? From what I see, that code is all I need. But this glitch on eBay has me worried.

Our van just blew the front seal and I'd like to replace the trans. Our local shops can't seem to find one. I was having a hard time at first, just looking up by the vehicle model name. But now that I found the trans code name I find a lot of them, and darn cheap. So why didn't the 2 shop guys I talked to know to look up the common AX4N??? Ugh.

they're saying the cheapest they can find is $800. But i'm finding $400/freeship *nice* Ax4Ns!

Also, I had this trans replaced 5 yrs ago and I now recall that code number. So I think it's right but it's also confusing since eBay says "no" in its compatibility check. ??

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,687 Posts
I've had Ebay and Amazon BOTH say something is not compatible and it turns out it was 100%. Just make sure there's not an oddball version of it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 6 of 6 Posts