Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've decided it just isn't worth it. I hate the car, I want something else. I have a 1991 grampa-spec EB1 complete with CFI and ugly gray bumpers. 200000k's. I just wanted to know if fixing all these faults will be worth it when it comes time to sell/trade-in:

-cracked windscreen
-cracked passenger side mirror
-rust in wheel arches
-major damage to front guard and boot (needs total replacement)
-tiny, not really noticable dints in ALMOST EVERY OTHER PANEL
-clear coat peeling off tops of doors
-f*cked paint on roof (don't know what the hell the previous owner did there)
-damaged interior from my dodgy stereo install :/

So is it worth the time and money to fix any of this ? Also are headers, exhaust and stereo worth leaving in there or changed back to stock ?

I paid $6500 plus the usual shit that needs replacing throughout owning a car. I'd like to get ~$5000 for it.

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
I'd think $5k in that condition would be impossible. $5k with the work you mentioned would be pushing the boundries but it may happen. I'd say headers/ exhaust and stereo out and return to stock if you plan to trade or sell. Then sell these parts seperatly. They'd only serve as deal sweetners and wouldnt help acheive a higher price really.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
I agree with NZ, as it is, you'd be pushed getting over $1000.
With all the repairs done properly, you might get $3000-$3500.

Rick.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Let this be a lesson to everyone to not ever rush to buy a car, there are alot nicer examples out there if you look.

·
Senior Events Moderator
1,710 Posts
I sold my mint Eb series 2 just on 12 months ago for just on $6000 so your never going to get anywhere near that with all that damage you have. I to think your just better taking off all the perfomance stuff and selling the parts seperatly. Otherwise you would be lucky to get $600 IMHO im only going by the way you have explained it can you get us some pics.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No pics sorry. I guess I have made it out to be worse than it really is. The only major problem is the drivers side guard and boot, which I think I'll just replace. The paint at the top of the doors turns out alright with a bit of cut and polish.

Cars just get stuffed over time, suppose we just have to decide how much money we want to pump into them to keep them like new.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
If you're going to fix it, keep it. Otherwise i wouldn't bother. Dunno what state you're from, but in WA, any CFI EB, even in mint condition, isn't worth more than $3k realistically.
By the time you fix the rust and paint (you're basically talking about a complete respray), convert it to MPFI and do tint, interior, tyres, and the windscreen, you'll have spent more than you'd get, just about. You might as well keep it, chuck in a manual and a 3.23 or 3.45 diff, and go kill Commo's with it :)

Wrecking - I could probably get $300 for the motor IF it was still OK. Lights - $50 each for the headlights, taillights maybe $30 each.
Glass/doors you probably won't sell. Same for all body panels.
Box - $2-300 if somebody is gullible, they're not really worth crap IMHO
Maybe tyres if they're good.
Diff's not worth anything either.
Radiator - $80

Total of something like $6-700, you could probably manage a grand for it as is and licenced, so if you hate it that much I'd just flog it off. General tidy-up and replace the mirror, maybe you'd manage $1500 or so.

My advice, anyway, sorry to be so pessimistic about your car :(
Alex

·
Wildlife Photographer
1,413 Posts
/personal trainer

Mate get yourself some spray-paint, spray your bumpers/mirrors and doorhandles. Get a windscreen/mirror/front guard/bootlid from the wreckers. Regas your air-co, drop the puppy on his guts
with some lowered springs. Give the car a nice cut & polish.
You car should now look like a nice sporty EB and should
encourage you to save up for a manual-box and a new diff.
Imitate the A-team and make something out of nothing !
Common ! You can do it, get to work NOW !

/personal trainer off

·
Registered
434 Posts
does the instrumental cluster have a tacho? ill take that if your wrecking it. :)

·
THE VILLAGE LUNITIC
1,149 Posts
sorry to say but dont trade in, wholesale for an EB 1 is around the 700-1000 in good condition which yours sounds far from, private sale i had an immaculate EB 2 with XR wheels etc and i got $4000 for it private sale sorry but falcons and commos depreciate rappidly my NL fairlane with 92k i paid 14 for it with leather etc in a yard they are worth 18-22 depending on k's and condition wholesale is what you get when you trade it i would suggest putting 2500 on it and go from there in the trading post

·
WHAT ARE U LOOKIN AT RAT!
118 Posts
i had a EB1 in roughly same condition as yours but no major damage, and it was stock, and i sold it for $2,650. That was pretty lucky and i was glad that i got rid of it at a decent price. I got offered $1000 trade inI cant believe u payed $6500 for it when was that? It would of been a while ago i spose. So decide what u wanna do it mite work out better to keep it and do it up on weekends and just buy something else for a town car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts