Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Hans, you may avoid the tax, but youll have to pay higher fees to bring the car into the state due to smogging and registering. Cars are built differently for California due to stricter regulations....so unless you want to pay an additional 300 bucks plus more (if applicable), then just buy the car in state.

·
Big Daddy
357 Posts
NO. you will not avoid the tax. if the car has less than 7000 miles on it when you try to register it in cali.. you will have to pay sales tax. you would have to register the car in NV or AZ till the car has over 7000 and then it's considered used.. and as far as i know. the smog impact fee the state of california used to charge is no longer being inforced.

J

·
0 Posts
Tony is right on both points. Yes, you'll still have to pay the sales tax until it is 'used' (7000 sounds right) and the smog impact fee was waved a while back.

Hey Hans, any new info on that sway bar? :D
Welcome to CA! :) + :(

·
Ford Member
103 Posts
But California still has emissions inspections, right? You'd have to option the car with California emissions in order to pass inspections, right?

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you bring a car in from out of state, you dont have to deal with only being able to put on carb apoved parts as long as it can still pass a smog check and has the factory emision controls.

·
0 Posts
Patricks right about that. I dont have a EGR and pass smog with flying colors.

·
SCPOC/Probe GT Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
otter said:
If you bring a car in from out of state, you dont have to deal with only being able to put on carb apoved parts as long as it can still pass a smog check and has the factory emision controls.
So you're saying that I'd still have to pay CA sales tax on the new car, but I can put non-CARB parts on it? But I was told that no car could have non-CARB parts installed on it, no matter where it was purchased

And Jim, I've had the swaybar for the last couple months, I just need him to start mass-producing it

·
Big Daddy
357 Posts
i do believe you would have to put carb approved parts. but you wouldn't have to add anything to the car to make it pass smog.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The way I'm pretty sure it works is if the car is from out of state, you DONT have to use CARB parts, but you DO still need all the original factory emision control stuff on it. AND you still need to be able to pass the smog test.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts