Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd post this because a friend in the know has seen many cars do this.

My AU2 cracked a windscreen when I jacked it to remove a front wheel. The crack originated at approximately the center lower edge of the screen under the wiper cowl trims. Those that attended Raid 2 will remember my having to get a new screen fitted at geelong.

Anyhow, after the FPV drive day I recently attended at Eastern Creek I have a noticeable delamination from the same point in the BA screen that has gone up before diverging across the lower section of the screen. It's noticeable but probably not worthy of replacement unless it spreads further.

Anyone else noticed or experienced this?

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Havent noticed this on 3 AU's or 2 BA's that ive had.

One of the AU 1's I had was thrashed to death on dirt roads where it shouldnt have been, and i had no worries with the windscreen except for cracks from stones!!! (this car would have done about 10 000 kms on dirt roads and had about 60 000 on it when we got rid of it).

How could of the drive day affect the windscreen???

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
XTS220 said:
How could of the drive day affect the windscreen???
Maybe the body loading the screen somehow - I don't know. I was just trying to see how widespread this is. My friend who's a service advisor at an interstate dealership was able to confirm that he's seen a few cars like this.

I remember my dad's VT commodore having its screen replaced as a program change for known delamination issues, so maybe there's a reason????

·
345 Posts
My AU1 clocked up 300,000ks with no windsreen damage until I drove under an underpass and got bombed by a brick.The replacement screen is Instant Glass and still no problems.

·
V8 ute driver!
984 Posts
Yeah my ute windscreen cracked to pieces at 3400k's!!!(see pics in thread oops! in ute section) :)

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
flavze said:
Yeah my ute windscreen cracked to pieces at 3400k's!!!(see pics in thread oops! in ute section) :)
What about your radiator & diff - the windscreen wasn't the only thing to crack on yours!

My AU1 windscreen is not cracked, but it is warped at the lower left hand edge - is this normal?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I havn't had this happen to me, tho I have seen it happen to others.

During my training as a mechanic, we were told that most modern vehicles without a full chassis actually use the windscreen as a structural part of the body. This is why modern vehicles will often extend a crack in the windscrean much faster than older ones.

Maybe there is a weld or seam that is just that little bit too close to the glass in some of the Falcons, causing the screen to crack or delaminate if it hits the glass when the body twists during cornering or jacking etc.

Just a guess :shrug:

·
2,153 Posts
Are the BA windscreens imported like the AU ones?

BTW, Pilkington lost the contract for supplying windscreens for the next Commodore. Holden will now be importing them from Thailand. A 100 or so Victorian jobs may be lost as a result.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My ute's screen cracked top to bottom while parked in the sun on a really hot day.

·
Registered
230 Posts
SPALDING GREEN said:
BA glass is imported.
BA cabin glass comes in from China.

Never seems to make sense given the local manufacturing capability, although the glass industry in Australia has had its share of workforce problems that probably inflate pricing.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kieron:
No, my AU2 was a sedan.

U

·
0 Posts
My BA has had its windscreen cracked on a very hot day (just while it was parked in the open) and i have seen at least 3 other BA's with similar problems. Ford refuses to fix the problem saying that its a stone chip!

·
Got my 3.45 LSD!
214 Posts
PURSUTE said:
...most modern vehicles without a full chassis actually use the windscreen as a structural part of the body. This is why modern vehicles will often extend a crack in the windscrean much faster than older ones.
yes this is true, and its a structural part of the body because if the car is turned on its roof it can support the whole car without crushing from (i think) the glue thats used to hold the windscreen in place, and cars without the glue, well will crush in and will not support the car at all.

·
Got my 3.45 LSD!
214 Posts
oh and ive got a stone chip in my windscreen and it has expanded (touch wood) and ive jacked my car up heaps of times to change wheels.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts