Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I was wondering if it was possible to find out what engine I have using the engine number as opposed to the VIN number. I am looking to buy a mustang with the VIN saying it is a 'c' code. I am wondering if the engine is original or if it has been swapped. Is there a web site that might be able to tell me.
Cheers Danno

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi Dan, the engine number wont tell you anything much. In fact a lot of the Mustangs didnt or dont have an engine number. If there is a number and it matches the VIN, then that was stamped outside the factory. Matching numbers for early Mustangs referred to casting numbers. If the casting number (found under the starter motor), indicates a date prior to the production date of your car then it MAY be original. At the very least it may help you decide if it is a 289 0r 302. Other ways to tell the difference, remove the inlet manifold, the capacity is often cast into the block ie. 302.
Remove a head and measure the stroke. I very much doubt anyone is about to let you do this to there car until you buy it.
Anybody else got any clues?
nassi

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Nassi, I'll hopefully find out soon what the engine is. Cheers also for the pics of the seatbelt locations

Danno

·
TD_2_NV
28 Posts
I have the same problem...although I'm not working on a Mustang...The number stamped into the block of my 302 is GH 17645 C I've been told that the G represents the decade ie G = 1970 and the H represents the month ie H = July I can only assume that the figures represent the unique id of the block and god only knows what the C stands for.

Be interested to see what comes from this post

Cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think Nassi is right on the money.
Just in case you don't know what a 'c' code is, its a 289 with two BBL inlet manifold and 2100 Autolite Carb. If it still has both of these, odds on its the original engine. I cant imagine someone putting in a 2bbl 302.
However if it has an aftermarket mainifold and carb, could be either.
Another thing, from memory there is a casting number visable on one of the heads, under the rocker cover. This could also be checked to see if it was originally fitted to a 289 or 302.
My 'c code' also had the original tag still fitted onto one of the manifold bolts. This shows 289, c and the date from memory. its just a 1.5" * 3/4" aluminium tag.

·
Registered
992 Posts
TD_2_NV said:
I have the same problem...although I'm not working on a Mustang...The number stamped into the block of my 302 is GH 17645 C I've been told that the G represents the decade ie G = 1970 and the H represents the month ie H = July I can only assume that the figures represent the unique id of the block and god only knows what the C stands for.

Be interested to see what comes from this post

Cheers
The GH prefix was used in 1970, and is the bit about what type of car and transmission it was for.

For example, GJ is a GT manual (for example only, go to the GT club site to check) The C on the end means V8.

·
i'll never grow up
294 Posts
i am pretty certain only falcon vin and engine numbers from i think xy on used the month and year. and it is the 4and 5th or 5th and 6 letters that refer to date. eg:
jg32fp7799989489. as did Vin and eng have matching numbers. Mustangs could be different as may be early Windsors only.
Not saying anyones wrong but differing opinions may be confused by falcon numbers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts