Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to know if its possible to get a winsor into a hilux. I know its possible to get v6 holden engine in there, but being a ford man, wanted to know if anyone had tried/heard of a winsor in a hilux.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i think yes but you will have to make mounts and loom
i put a vp v6 into a 91 lux and its a perfect size but lacks straight line acceleration
still lights up both 225's on the back quite easily
the better option would be to use the 4.0l lexus v8 and run an aftermarket computer they make 200kw and cost around $2000 as a front cut with box
a ford v8 would cost a heap more to get the same power and are heavy compared to lexus

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
i agree on using the lexus V8, hilux's are quite light and originaly had a pissy 4. if you chucked a lump like a windsor in there it'd totally upset hte balance (what.. hilux's have balance - sorry, bad joke at our 520,000km old work ute)
whereas the alloy lexus 8 would be around the same weight if not around 100 kg more than the original 4.

and hmmm 200kw in a hilux would devinatley be fun...... but it would need to be seriously lowered first :p

·
Registered
158 Posts
Have a mate that just finished putting in a Lexus V8 in his Toyota surf - can get you details if you like - cost him a bit but he had others do all the work, but does it go or what. Same guy that did the install has just dropped an infinity (nissan) 4.5l twin turbo motor into his old Patrol - 4wd burnouts and 560 hp, will be featured in one of the 4x4 mags soon.

·
Old Fart
40 Posts
im about to undertake a 302W conversion in my hilux 2WD. i looked at the lexus motor and 1 see 2 reasons why i decided not 2
1. you have to buy a front cut meaning you pay for a 4 speed auto you dont really want
2. i want to run the engine on LPG and because of the stupid 2 dizzy design i either have to run the factory computer to run the ignition which i dont think will work of buy a aftermarket computer just to run the ignition, which is going to cost heaps.

reason for the windsor are:
*cheap, but not easy to find
*parts in the states are so cheap
*easier to convert to LPG

i wouldnt worry about the weight. i couldnt see a 302W being much heavier than a factory 2.4 diesel they are a very large lump of a engine.
the windsor will fit no worries only thing you may need is a modified handbrake cable you can buy them from marks 4wd (cant remeber the site) i think they were $70?

will let you know how mine goes when i get around to fitting it

·
Australian Ford Member
80 Posts
Have to disagree on the Lexus versus the EFI Windsor.

See attachment

The HO weight is so close to being the same its not an issue. From those that I have seen the Lexus cooling would also be an issue as it has no fan clearance.

But even the HO is not an easy conversion.

The aftermarket parts for the HO are way beyond that for the Lexus so it can be set up to suit any conditions and at a reasonable cost. They are so reliable and simple there's noway I would ever consider swapping my HO for a Lexus and dare I say it would kick a Hilux Lexus's arse .

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~jonhel5/

JD

Attachments

·
Old Fart
40 Posts
nice job on the Windsor Conversion. I should have my engine this week for my ute. fingers crossed.
anything i should look out for mine is 2WD so i can get a bellhousing from Castlemain rod shop nice and easy. any advice you can give would be great.

very tidy conversion. have you had her dyno yet?
cheers
mick

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
I would like to know what your insurance is like for this or if you can get any!

·
Old Fart
40 Posts
easy for insurance. all in my wifes name. she has life time rating 1, im just down as a secondary driver. i can get anything insured. Cost of a BA XR8 was only going to cost $900/year.
being good on the roads has its advantages. marrying a women older than you with impecable diving record also helps

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Some people have all the luck :whatever:

My mrs is younger than me, does that mean I can get cheaper insurance too? :neverlear

1 - 10 of 10 Posts