Ford Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
1,950 Posts
UCNTRY said:
whats the easiest way to tell if you have wiped the lobes on a cam with out measuring lift at the valve or cam cam is a crow 211367 its hydraulic too
I was lucky(or unlucky!!) and wiped all 16 lobes, so all i had to do was check one lifter. I pulled the rocker covers and pulled out a couple of lifters with a magnet and instantly found the problem, with no measuring. You can't do it this way with 4V heads.

· ESP Man
904 Posts
The metal in the oil and the holes in the bottom of 2 of the lifters was enough evidence for me

· ESP Man
904 Posts
UCNTRY said:
the only thing i can find in my oil is petrol but when i started it up earlier on one of the lifters was really noisy
Ok sounds like you need a new fuel pump after you get the lifter problem sorted.

Turning the motor over by hand with the rocker cover off see if you can establish which lifter is loose.

No wait a minute. Get a new fuel pump and replace the oil and filter. Then start it up and listen for the noisy lifter. If you get a long handled screw driver and put it on the inside edge of the head and listen with your ear against the end of the handle you will easlily pick which is the problem. Remove and inspect the lifter and pushrod for wear thru the hardening. Replace with new if necessary and adjust as per handbook

· ESP Man
904 Posts
Is this a new rebuild.

Have you used new cam, rods & lifters? If so have you adjusted the rockres with correct preload?

· UCNTRY
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it doesnt have a fuel pump on it it is electric pump and yeah its got a fuel rebuild 5000 ago and then had to redo heads and the cam looked warn at that stage so got the cam re profiled and new surfaces put on the lifters and also put stud mount roller rockers in at the same time

· ESP Man
904 Posts
UCNTRY said:
it doesnt have a fuel pump on it it is electric pump and yeah its got a fuel rebuild 5000 ago and then had to redo heads and the cam looked warn at that stage so got the cam re profiled and new surfaces put on the lifters and also put stud mount roller rockers in at the same time
If its not a manual pump how did the fuel get into the oil? If the oil has been thinned out by fuel then you may already have damage thru loss of lubrication.

Sort the oil problem 1st then listen for the noisy lifter and remove and inspect

· UCNTRY
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that was the plan probably take manifold off tommorrow have a look at the cam and redo all the rockers and lean it off a bit think it might be runnin rich and seem to be havin problems with carb at moment think it might be flowing in while not running and running past the rings

· ESP Man
904 Posts
UCNTRY said:
that was the plan probably take manifold off tommorrow have a look at the cam and redo all the rockers and lean it off a bit think it might be runnin rich and seem to be havin problems with carb at moment think it might be flowing in while not running and running past the rings
What did you find?

· 351 XE on LPG
743 Posts
xdclevo said:
I was lucky(or unlucky!!) and wiped all 16 lobes, so all i had to do was check one lifter. I pulled the rocker covers and pulled out a couple of lifters with a magnet and instantly found the problem, with no measuring. You can't do it this way with 4V heads.
Why not ?

· Registered
1,950 Posts
Rhett said:
Why not ?
There is a large gap cast into the 2V cast heads(AFD too) so getting a lifter out with the manifold on is easy. Bit harder getting back in. The 4V heads only have a small hole cast in, which is big enough for the pushrod, but not to retrieve a lifter through it.
4V = manifold off for sure.

· UCNTRY
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
havent taken the manifold off yet ended up stuck in bed all day with a crook back but pulled the rocker cover off today and found that my push rods are binding up in the guideplates and some of them are bent in fact some have worn down about 1-2mm would like to know what sought of pushrods you guys are using and what sought of guideplates

· 74 XB Fairmont
5,129 Posts
You must be using standard pushrods. When you get new ones. Specify to the supplier your using guide plates. This way they won't chop out on you again.

What brand of guide plates are you using. I used to use Ford motorsport when I had 5/16" ones. I can't remember what the new ones are? I know VPW sell them.

· UCNTRY
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
are im pretty sure they were manley ones they were a real old set that was at work under the counter they had been returned once and im pretty sure they were just standard pushrods a couple of them are slightly bent
now while we are on pushrods wat the easiest way to work out your pushrod length without taking the head off

· 74 XB Fairmont
5,129 Posts
Head needs to be on to do it anyway ;) Problem is you need a solid lifter to work it out. You need to mark the top of the lifter. I've used permanent marker, bearing blue and mobil 1 blue grease. I found the bearing blue and the mobil 1 blue grease thinly applied worked very well.

You turn the motor over 1 cycle for the rocker your testing. Remove the rocker and look at the contact patch. It should be fairly centred. A small amount off is ok. If it's too far you'll either need shorter or longer pushrods.

· 74 XB Fairmont
5,129 Posts
No the blue or permanent marker needs to be applied to the tip of the valve. The tip of the rocker will wipe off the grease or permanent marker leaving you with an contact patch on the tip of the valve.

[edit]

Fire me off an email [email protected] and I'll email back a document that tells you how to do it in text and graphically.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.