Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the wipers on my 78 don't return below the hood when turned off, and will just stop wherever they happen to be. I have to time it so they stop at the bottom when I turn them off. I figure it's one or both of the switch and the motor. Which is the most likely culprit? I figure the switch needs replacing anyway, since the intermittent function typically misbehaves, but I'm more concerned with the above mentioned issue.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would seem to go along with some of what I've heard, that it's the wiper motor. Just never got any reasoning behind why, so it didn't make sense. Now I get it. I'll try the motor first, as soon as I find out how to replace it. Have a shoo manual on hand, with any luck it'll have what I need.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, the shop manual I have sucks, and the info isn't very good. My attempts to locate a proper write-up or video haven't yielded anything useful. Does anyone know of some info on how to properly replace one of these wiper motors?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I'm resurrecting a thread as a zombie here...

But I finally got around to buying a wiper motor. And now I can't get the old motor out. What am I missing?

·
Super Moderator
7,646 Posts
Is it in the engine bay extending through the firewall?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, just mounted to the firewall on the driver side, exposed in the engine bay, mounted with three bolts along with mounting insulators for each bolt.

·
Super Moderator
7,646 Posts
Not sure how it is on your car, but on my truck, the motor comes out in the engine bay, but yo have to get the linkage disconnected in the dash first. That part, I'm not sure, been a long time since I looked at it.

·
Super Moderator
18,944 Posts
I would remove the wiper arms and all the shit roundabout them to see if the bulkhead panel and grill can be removed to get at linkage . This link is supposed to cover your car but seems different .You might get some hints from it ,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
3 Participants
R.S.LOGAN
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing