Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AU3 Falcon XR8 Ute (auto)
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

what do you reckon is the best way to tap into an existing wire? I think the Hella/Narva type of quick connectors or wire taps or scotchlocks or whatever you call 'em (where you clip the two wires into em and then close them with a pliers to join) are definatley the quickest and easiest, but are there any probs with them as far as how reliable the connection is and/or any damage they do to the wire (to the actual strands)? Otherwise I guess theres those sorta multi-strips which you can just cut the wire your joining into and the stick each end into the connector block along with the new wire and tighten the screws down.

What do you guys reckon and/or use?

Steve.

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
i Use scothlocks if its not 100% important and your dealing with smaller gauge wire.. ALso use 2 per join.. ie: I usually destroy the first one when I clamp it shut so i pull that one off the put a fresh one on when all the wire is bare from my first attempt..Then i cable tie them shut.. They are much of a muchness between scotchlocks and the spreader blocks IMO

If its something more crucial or harder to get to at a later date, strip, solder and insulate is the only way to be 100% positive you have a good reliable connection

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
strip the plastic, get the other wire, and twist it around it, then solder it, then tape it

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
The scotchlock things are unreliable and I avoid them. Options I use are:

a) Terminal blocks with eyelets crimped on the 3 or more wires.
b) Crimping two wires into one crimp terminal or nyloc connector.
c) The strip and solder approach (covered with heat shrink tubing).
d) Piggy back lucar connectors in there is an extsing spade terminal at one end.

and if it is a temporary set up simpy undo one of the existing hareness connectors and poke the stripped wire into the socket before plugging it back together.

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
I also prefer the utilux or so called solder type connectors (which actually crimp on with the correct tool) to the color coded (red, blue or yellow) so called quickcrimp or automotive connectors.

·
EB wagon
932 Posts
I use the strip and solder method (if i dont have any solder i just twist the strands). I then wrap the join and a few inches either side of the join with plain ole black insulating tape. Havent had any problems yet...

Brent

1 - 7 of 7 Posts