Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,
i have a 1964 galaxie xl500 fastback.the person i bouhgt it from did not have the front turn signals.i found some -bought them -mounted them and plugged them in.Checked them -both worked!great right -----then i turned the lights on and checked them again--no go-neither of them lit up --any ideas before i start gutting the wiring and realize i have no clue what i am doing.
thanks in advance
joe

·
Registered
198 Posts
joeyt11 said:
hello everyone,
i have a 1964 galaxie xl500 fastback.the person i bouhgt it from did not have the front turn signals.i found some -bought them -mounted them and plugged them in.Checked them -both worked!great right -----then i turned the lights on and checked them again--no go-neither of them lit up --any ideas before i start gutting the wiring and realize i have no clue what i am doing.
thanks in advance
joe
The turn signsls do not work with the head lights on, but do with the head light s off? You may have a bad head light switch or fasher. The tuen signal lights do not stay on with the head lights on these old cars like the newer cars, some people think that tthey should and look for a problem, but that is the way they were back then.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hello,
thanks for the respones-
the turn signal operate as normal-flashing and lighting up when i do not have the headlights on at night.If i turn the headlights on the turn signals do nothing.I would have to believe even in 64 they had to see the signals at night when the head lights are on.
i checked the ground to the head lamps and it checked out fine-could not seem to find the exact ground for the signals -so i just checked one side of the plug going to the car not the lamp and neither side showed a ground to the body--but when i checked to each other they showed continuity--is this correct?IF the light switch is bad any way to check or just a replace and see thing?again thanks in advance to all that help.
joe

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm sorry but I do not know of a way to check the switch without changing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts