Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 F250 with the 6.4 Powerstroke and a ZF-6. Every time I shift I can here a big "Woooosh" coming from the air filter area. Anyone know what causes this?

·
Super Moderator
20,061 Posts
I've read a few saying to check out the intake hose for cracks / splits / leaks
Some suggestions also from elsewhere on what seems to be a common complaint you check out

"
Its called compressor surge. The 6.4 turbos are not gated and don't have a BOV, so therefore the pressure has no where to go when you chop the throttle causing this sound to go through the intake. Compressor surge isn't good for the turbo's btw, so I see it as a blessing that the AFE magnifies the sound. I have learned to not chop the throttle and when I do it makes me cringe hearing that sound. "

" What you are hearing is turbo farting or compressor surge. It is normal although far more noticable with and aftermarket intake on. Now saying that it's normal doesnt mean that care shouldn't be taken when letting off of the throttle from full load. It sounds cool but is very hard on the turbo when running a tune such as the 250 which uses much higher drive pressures compared to stock. "

1 - 5 of 5 Posts