Ford Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, the Ranchero was not running when I got it; found a bent pushrod in the valley after I removed the intake manifold. After replacing all the pushrods and lifters I thought I could quickly get it running again - no such luck. Turns out, the valve is stuck; obviously why the pushrod bent. So, the heads are coming off.

I also have the timing cover off, so I could install a Cloyes timing chain, this way I can get a 2 degree advance on the cam; hoping that helps and is not too radical. Also planning on plugging the heads, and eliminating the smog pump and that air manifold.

Picked up an Edelbrock Performer 7166 intake manifold. I have a Carter AFB Competition series carb I can use, or I may get a Quick Fuel carb, maybe 650cfm.

I was debating on installing an electric fuel pump, however, I don't want to hassle with wiring and a regulator, so I think I will stick with the stock mechanical fuel pump. I never really had a problem with a mechanical fuel pump, I think they are pretty dependable.

Then, I have to fix the steering column and replace the ignition switch. And, I have no idea if the transmission is any good, or the rest of the drive line.

Overall, the car seems to be in pretty good original condition; the clear coat is peeling, but that's not a big deal. I'm sure it sat in the sun for many years; it was an Arizona car, prior to coming to California; and before that it was registered in New York. The car does not show any signs of rust, so if it was in New You, it probably wasn't very long. The interior looks good too; the seats do not show much signs of wear, and the headliner sags just a little. The paint on the door jambs and the engine compartment looks good too. The engine bay is pretty clean for a car this old. Normal they are covered in oil and dirt.
Motor vehicle Azure Car seat cover Car Head restraint

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Blue Car Automotive design

Automotive parking light Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Administrator
5,274 Posts
That looks like a great car.

It still looks pretty stock under the hood which is a good platform to start from.

I agree with most of what you are planning. Mechanical fuel pumps are fine for most cars. You already have a carter carb so roll with that but I find holleys are common and easy to get parts for and a fairly simple carb.

The valve may be stuck from sitting. Likely a bit of rust.
The 385 series are a good engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks like a great car.

It still looks pretty stock under the hood which is a good platform to start from.

I agree with most of what you are planning. Mechanical fuel pumps are fine for most cars. You already have a carter carb so roll with that but I find holleys are common and easy to get parts for and a fairly simple carb.

The valve may be stuck from sitting. Likely a bit of rust.
The 385 series are a good engine.
You are absolutely correct - the valve is stuck. Getting ready to pull the motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts